Author Topic: take a look and let me know so far ?  (Read 477 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
take a look and let me know so far ?
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

it's a tad heavy at 87lbs at 29 but might have to figure out how to drop the poundage.

thanks for looking ,
Scott

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: take a look and let me know so far ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
wait will have to get a pic there for ya huh

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

how about this  did it work

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
here it is at full draw and sorry about the cartoons in the first pic i know it drawed some of your eyes lol.
 it is a bamboo ipe and hickery bow  first laminate i have done    

thanks,
Scott

Offline SSGN_Doc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Looks purdy.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Could you post an unbraced picture?
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
unbraced it is almost flat with a slight bow at the tips maybe 1 inch or so not alot .will try to get a pic if i can me and the camera just had a round and i think it won but will see lol.
Scott

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
The outer third looks like it doesn't work as much. I'd thin the limb in width starting at the outer third tapering to 3/8in tips. That will get them working a little more and reduce the mass of the outer limb a bit. what is the width at the tips currently? The thinning will slightly reduce draw weight too.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
right now they are at 1/2 inch being my first i wanted to leave a litle meat so i didn't go to far  but i guess maybe i didn't go far enough on some things but there is still room to do things ( thank the lord) lol

Scott

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Thinning them to 3/8 should be best for the bow if they're at 1/2 right now. If the tips are still a bit stiff after you thin them I'd leave them that way because light and stiff is not a problem with the tips only heavy and stiff.  If the draw weight is still too high I'd trap the bow to 3/4 with on the belly vs the back. Ipe is great in compression and could take even more stress but I'd go slow and only trap as much as you need until you get the desired draw weight.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Looks like you can pull the weight OK, I don't think I could. Taking wood off the sides has much less effect than taking it from the belly.

Looks like most of the bend is in the first 1/2 of the limb length. If you imagine the limb marked in 4 equal sections, I would take wood off the belly of the 3rd section out from the handle. Stiff tips are good, but the 3rd quarter needs to be bending some.

Very nice looking bow, good work.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Shaun part of what you see it the reflex deflex design of the bow. But I do agree that the outer 1/2 or 1/3 needs to bend more. Thinning from the 1/2 or outer 1/3 mark down to 3/8in tips should do a lot. If they're still way to stiff you can go down to 1/4in tips and use back nocks.  Taking wood of the belly will reduce the strength faster but won't take as much wood.  If he gets to 3/8 or 1/4 in tips I wouldn't worry if they're a bit stiff.  If the tips end up 1/4in wide and stiff the bow will have no problem performance wise.

Scott, now that I look at the bow. I would actually thin from the inner third mark down to 3/8in tips and if it's still too stiff thin from the outer third mark to 1/4in tips.  The reduction in tip mass will reduce handshock, reduce noise, and increase speed.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
thanks guys did thin the tips last night from the outer 3rd to 3/8 tips and took a pic at full draw but can't see any differance but maybe a slight more bend.
i hate to take more off the belly it is getting pretty thin now right at 1/8 in thick .
see i didn't taper the ends of the boo or ipe, thats what i get for not paying more attention .
would like to try an arrow through it but it's been about 25 degrees here and from what i hear that could cause some problems .
but am game at trying anything  , once again thanks for the advice  keep it coming ,
Scott

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I wouldn't take any more off the belly. What I'd do now is taper from the outer third to 1/4in tips. You will have to use back nocks but that won't be a problem.  A back nock is a nock filed in the overlay on the back of the bow and no grove filed on the sides.  If the tips are stiff and 1/4in wide the bow will have no problem with performance.  If it's still too heavy I'd trap the belly to 3/4 the thickness of the back. If that doesn't work I'd go to 2/3 and 1/2.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
i think for right now i am going to let it go as is untill i get to shoot it then if there is alot of hand shock i might go to 1/4 inch tips but boy that seems small lol.
but thanks for all the advice and i am filling it away for futute refrence items .

thanks,
Scott

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
1/4in tips are not too small. They make the bow super quiet and free of handshock.  I use 1/4in tips on most of my bows.  You just have to use back nocks.  The smallest I make my tips is 1/8-3/16in but that's on static tip bows.  1/4-5/16in is very good for longbows and working recurves.  I do think shooting it first before you change anything is a good idea though.  Could you post a pic of the bows new profile and one from the back?  What's the draw weight on the bow now?  BTW on the next bow I would not thin the bamboo or hickory but just use wider fades and 1/4in tips.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©