3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Measuring a Recurves Length  (Read 221 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Measuring a Recurves Length
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
What is considered the length of a recurve?  Is it with the bow strung or the bow unstrung.  Thanks!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Measuring a Recurves Length
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Unstrung. Measure from string groove to string groove along the belly of the bow following all curves.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
AMO length of ANY traditional bow is the length of the string that it takes to brace it correctly plus 3".  If it takes a 57" actual length string it is a 60" AMO bow.  If it takes a 54" actual string it is a 57" AMO bow, etc.  That goes for longbows and recurves.  AMO is (THE) standard.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
GA boy...do you hold the tape measure taut or bend it to follow the lines of the bow?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
You bend it to follow the lines.  Actually, you should measure on the back of the bow, the part away from you when shooting, from nock to nock.  Measuring on the belly side will yield almost the same result, but going over the handle section usualy screws it up a little.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Guys, I just don't get it.  What is the deal with measuring any other way than AMO standard?  What does any other measurement mean in the real world?  I am not trying to be contentious, I am seriously confused by all the methods and WHY?  Are we just trying to stick our head in the sand and deny there IS a correct way to measure?
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
The "catch" is a lot of bows/bowyers don't follow AMO specs.  

Some (actually most, at least in my experience) are not marked according to AMO--which is, as stated, 3" longer than the string length.  That's the "rule", but consider this--you have the same model and length bow, but one guy likes it braced at 6.5", the next likes it braced at 8"--so what's the AMO length for that bow?  Depends on who is shooting it.

I've seen bows get strings anywhere from 1.5" to 6" shorter than the marked bow length.  Then you have bows that aren't marked (selfbows, ink worn off, refinished, etc.).

The correct way to measure a bow without a string is start at the "top" of the string groove, follow the contour of the limbs, through the center of the riser, to the "top" of the other string groove.  You'll need a flexible tape, like a steamstress' tape, to do this.  You can do it with a bow strung or unstrung--it will measure the same.

Chad

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Chad nailed it.  Of the 20+ bows I've had on my bow rack over the last few years I think ONE of them was actually marked correctly by AMO standards.  That's production and custom bows.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
All diferent. Just came into several older bows.  A Damon Howatt High Speed54"amo, Browning Mowhawk 54"amo, Wing(pre-Head Ski)Red Wing Hunter58"amo and several older Bear models. The Browning and Bear models matched up pretty well amo wise to 4" shorter string lengths. The DH braces WAY to low with a 50" as does the Wing. I will start twisting away today but with both of these bows the amo to string length is way off. Will my serving withstand an inch and one half shortening of the string?
"no sleep 'til 55"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Actually it sounds like the DH and the Wing are closer to AMO specs.  AMO does NOT specify 4" shorter for a recurve--it's 3" shorter, period--longbow, recurve, flatbow, whatever. Actually the way it's stated, as noted above, is the AMO bow length is 3" longer than the string that gives you the proper brace height. Note that the string is to be measured under tension.
  http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/AMO/AMOStandards.pdf

I don't like to put that much twist in my string, but you might get away with it.  I draw the line if the string coils up when the bow is unstrung.

Chad

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
LBR, as I look at the RedWing, it is 58"amo, I have it strung with a 54" string and the brace height is 5 1/2", way too low. If I understand what you are saying, a minus 3" string(55") is right?? would not that make my brace even lower? The DH isn'tstrung but the 54' amo bow with 50" string braced at 6.5" for me also too low. I need to be on the same page with you as I have ordered some strings from you and well... thanks for any and all.
"no sleep 'til 55"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©