Author Topic: Need advice on how to fix limb  (Read 343 times)

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need advice on how to fix limb
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
While in Colorado hunting elk this year I had a little mishap with my bow. As I was walking my string snagged on a branch and like an idiot I pulled on the bow...long story short....the string popped off and the bow flew out of my hand and smashed on a rock.

It left a few scratches and a large white bubble(about 1/4 inch). The bubble is my main concern. The bubble seems to be below the glass,I sanded it a little and it is deep.

Can this be fixed? Will the limb explode? The bow still shoots great...I shot an elk a few days later with the bow and have shoot a lot of arrows through it since then. Here is a pic, would really appreciate any thoughts/ideas.

Offline Furtaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice on how to fix limb
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »
About 5 years ago I had a Robertson longbow that started to do that about mid limb.Never had problems and it's still shooting in the hands of a new owner.
Just keep an eye on it to make sure that spot doesn't grow.
  Frank

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
have you tried thin super glue? use the search function and you should find some info on similar repairs. you may be able to get the superglue to wick into the glass, put glue tube/bottle in hot water first to heat it and make it less viscous

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
I tried superglue 401 that has a viscosity close to water with no luck. It almost seems that the bubble is below the glass. Is it possible to drill a small hole into the area and then fill?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
A friend fixed his limb like this, he said he carefully drilled a small hole on each end on the spot just thru the 040 glass and injected warm superglue into spot until it came out of hole on opposite side,wipe excess glue torwards limb edge, let dry hole side up, do not blow on super glue it will turn a whiteish color from moisture in breath, if your carefull you may not have to refinish the whole bow..  good luck, I hope someone with actual repair experiance chimes in

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©