Author Topic: Dust Collection System's  (Read 1001 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dust Collection System's
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
There was a slight problem, the package had some damage on the ends. When I opened it up, the remote control was broken up pretty bad, but still worked. I called Grizzly, the lady was very nice and helpful and they are sending me another remote.. She even called back today to confirm sending me a new remote.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Like others have said you really need more than one type of filter.  A dust collector is great at the point of source and the whole room filter is good for the smaller stuff left in the air.  If you are really concerned I would use a respirator made to filter dust, not fumes.  

I used to have a great wood shop and had to go to the respirator when sanding black walnut.  It took me a while to figure out that it was the finest black walnut dust that was making me sick.  I got almost flu-like symptoms.  

Like was mentioned above it's the accumulation over time that will get you.  You won't feel it creeping up on you.

Making the air cleaner from a blower fan and filters will save you about 90% of the cost of a commercial one and it's really easy.

Good luck!

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Sorry about repeating info others had said.  I somehow missed reading page two before I responded.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Ranger, that is what I have had the past 3 months, flu like symptoms. I also finally figured out it was the dust. I now have a shop vac at the bandsaw and sander, the Grizz air cleaner, and have been wearing a good mask.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Glad to hear you got it taken care of Roy.  Another thing with many shop vacs is that they throw a lot of fine particles back into the air.    If you can keep yourself a decent distance from the vacs exhaust and let the filter get it that will help a lot.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
See now Roy, that's the first thing I liked about Grizz, they have such good customer service, second great machines, but service goes a long ways.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Harbor frieght sells them at a great price.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Well I got the dust under control, but I'm still feeling a little ill with flu like symptoms and stuffy nose. Waiting to hear about some tests I had done today.

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I just went through this real fast but has anyone mentioned that the ducting builds a lot of static and a discharge of static electricity into fine dust has Been known to start fires so ground the ducting plastic or metal. Jim

Offline Teagus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
My last shop had the room for a Torrit 3-phase run off of a rotary Phase converter. I had the luxury of all machines tied into a rigid pvc system running around two walls. I am now downsized to two bays of a three bay garage. I now have a large Delta bag collector. It has two intake ports down at the bottom. I have three spindle sanders, 4 ft beltsander, bandsaw,
planer, jointer. totally frustrated with doing the hose dance every time I switch machines.
Anybody in this boat?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Oh ya, I gotta move the hose from machine to machine too.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I had a floor sweep and a couple of locations to connect to the hoses.  I used a combination of PVC and regular dust collector hose.  One was stationary at the radial arm saw and the other moved from machine to machine.  I did have the whole system grounded with copper wire to avoid static electricity build-up.  I found a little book/pamphlet that showed hot to do the grounding.  It worked quite well.

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Shop vac clamped to the tool and a good dust mask.

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
I wear a respirator, and do my sanding outside and try to stay upwind.  I also use a shopvac on my saws and sanders, with the garage door open. Also wash my cloths immediately after I am done.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Got the Grizzly mounted in place tonight. Really sweet unit. Hanging from 4 chains and this thing doesn't vibrate at all. And the air in the shop is so much cleaner. All I need to do now is dress up the power cord to get it closer to the wall away from the tillering tree.

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/a697d5b7191ee0c029

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Not all dust is created equal. I find walnut to be annoying, osage makes me feel ill and yew makes me feel like I am dying! The toxic effects of some dusts can be cumulative and reaction to them can become more severe with continued exposure. John Shultz developed a severe allergy to yew and had to quit working with it. Don't be macho about exotic wood dusts - use safe procedures and good dust control. Good topic Roy!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Very good advice Shaun!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
What about cutting and sanding fiberglass bow's? I only ever tried it once and it destroyed my bandsaw blade. I'm now wondering if maybe it was the fiberglass that really messed me up. This was 2 months ago I made that bow. Dano ? Shaun ?

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Any things possible Roy, but guy's I know that make glass bows don't seem to be affected. Swine flu that's what I think, did you kill a hog?    :goldtooth:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks Ole Timer:) No hogs for me..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©