Author Topic: l82hunt's bow build ( kablewy!!! )  (Read 825 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
l82hunt's bow build ( kablewy!!! )
« on: January 02, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
not wantong an argument, just getting ready to lay out a bow for l82hunt and was wanting opinions. The piece of wood is69 in long and pretty clean. I laid out a four in handle with two in fades. Overall length ntn is 62in. Limbs go from 1/2 in to 1 1/4 in 16 in. Then run 1 1/4 down to the fades. What do you think
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: l82hunt's bow build ( kablewy!!! )
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
forgot to mention he has a 27 in draw and I'd like to finishe at around 55@27
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
What wood? Nice job following the lateral grain. I'd make the bow 65 in ntn or I'd shorten the fades to 1.5 in. Jawge

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
thanks george. I was thinking of shotrning the fades. It is osage orange. Still think I should lenghten the limbs?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
   changed the handle layout per suggestion from george.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
I am about to tackle the stave with a rasp to bring it to outlined dimensions. Any last words?

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm with George.  If the wood is clean and sound, it can certainly be done, but at those dim's I'd expect more set than normal and a shorter life.  If you want to hold the length, I'd widen to 1.5", if not 1.625".  To hold the width, I'd lengthen to 64 or 66".  In both cases, I'd shorten the fades to 1.25" or 1.5".  Of course, I'm biased towards durability and longevity.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I use the drawknife working from the wide part of the fades out to the tips to bring it closer to the profile lines. Saves a lot of pushing on the rasp. Take it off in small portions to avoid splitting into your bow. When doing this I use the drawknife upside down as it keeps the knife from digging in too far and allows more control.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
generally I do useboth rasp and drawknife wheb profiling, but I always seems to rush and start to tear uo the grain. I guess that I'm going to re layout this one today before I start shaping. I will post pics around noon to show progress

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
well I took a little advice and went wider, but I didn't go longer. Still 62 ntn. I shortened the fadeouts by 1/4 in and it is now 1 1/2 wide at the fades.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
tokk a bit longer than I thought, but I got it down to profile except in the handle.  Next I am going to thickness the limbs. I am wondering how thick to start. I normally go with 1/2 in thick limbs and tiller from there. What do you guys do from here?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
well I got no answers so I am taking it down to half inch. I will try to post floor tiller pics

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
the ready to floor tiller pic

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
heated it up a bit for some minor adjustments

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
I used the lazy man heating method and just set it close to the old wood stove. worked well

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
That's a big RIGHT ON!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
worked a  bit more on it today. Worked out the fades a little and put on some antler tips. I haven't picked out a tip design yet and would sure like to see any tips that some of you have put on osage selfbows. Specifically antler tips so I can get a few ideas. I will put up a few pics, but it seems like some of mine aren't working. I will try to get that fixed and put up some new one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©