Author Topic: my new lam grinder jig  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my new lam grinder jig
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Bamboo,

I will send PM

cobbow,

Three things if I may,

1. What year is the Vett under the tarp?

2.  I am moving the adjustment screw away from the spindle, What would be the left in your picture to give me a finer adjustment.

3.  I wanted to do the larger in feed / out feed table but was not able to find a piece of wood that was flat enough.  Is the birch ply stable enough? Did you add anything to make it flat? Any problems keeping it at a perfect 90 to the spindle? The birch at the local home center was not nice.

and thanks for sharing your improvements!

My next improvement is CNC aluminum sleds!

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline cobbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Good eye its my Dad's 64 327ci 365hp 4sd. He had it in high school, sold it to marrie my Mom, buoght it back with only an extra 2,500 miles. Oh that was 25 years after he sold it.

The bed was just some scrap we had around. I didnt do anything to flatten. The guild is squar to the spindle I check it before running anything.
I did notice how sensitive the adjustment is I may end up dooing the same.
I dont know how long the sled will last. may have to find something more stable. It would be nice to be able to have a cnc avalible. I'm just a simple wood worker. I am still learning how to build bows and to do it right.

Cobbow

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Hey are you grinding new lams for my new longbow on that machine.  Just wondering
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Jered Shofner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Love the thread, I have the same sander and will be copying! If you are looking for a stable, flatter surface for your jig, try some MDF.

I've just about given up trying to buy flat plywood, too.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
Metsastaja

Yes Your lams were the first sets ground on my new grinder.  Glue up this weekend depending on the "Storm of the century"  YEY!

Cobbow,

Rusty old cars is one of my other hobbies.  I rebuild a clunker every year or so.  Nothing like that Vett though. I saw that before the sander in the pic! I wonder where my priorities really lie?

I don't have personal access to a CNC. What I do have is the ability to swap a bow for a set of jigs... if you get my drift.  

Jered

The surface of the jig is easy.  the grinder takes care of that for you. IT is the infeed outfeed table that I am worried about.  I kept mine limited to the sander top.  The longer infeed out feed is going to be way more accurate with a good table. Will MDF stay true over the length?

pete

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Pete,

A couple of questions:

How is the sander holding up?  The reason for the question is I have the same sander and set up a lam grinding jig similar to yours last spring.  After about fifty lams the bearings on it developed a wobble and I wasn't able to get smooth lams anymore.   I replaced the bearing but it still wobbles too much to use for lams.

The biggest problem I found (when the sander was working properly) was getting a constant feed when pushing the lams through the jig.  Any deviation in the push speed and the lams got low or high spots.  Have you had that problem?  

I had some coated MDF (the type used for shelving and cabinets) left over from another project and used it for my jig; It worked good and provided a square, slick surface.  It is set up with adjustable wing nuts and a dial micrometer that allowed really fine adjustments without any guessing.  If I get a chance, I will take a picture this weekend and post it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Walt,

I have only made 8 sets of lams so far. Like you said the speed at which the lam is fed is critical for controlling the depth of the cuts. Another thing that I have found is how much wood you removing in one pass.  I only remove a little bit of wood each pass and I feed the lam through the grinder 3-4 times each setting keeping a light touch.  This makes it easier to have that desired consistent feed speed...

Thanks for the heads up on the bearing issues.  I will keep that in mind!!!  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am surprised that after re bearing you did not get the same accuracy back.  What type of bearing did you replace it with? Do you remember?

pete

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Pete, I replaced the bearings with new ones from Rigid.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Walt,

I am really glad you pointed out the bearing problem.  Do you have any idea why the wobble  remains?  Was the bearing a tough install?  I am really going to look this rig over and see what I come up with.  No reason to re invent a wheel that doesn't work!I do look forward to seeing yours.

pete

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Pete.  thanks for sending the pictures of the bow I'm excited.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©