Author Topic: Osage Board bow question  (Read 379 times)

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage Board bow question
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
I want to build a board bow out of osage and boo. The question I have is with the osage do you have to follow the growth ring when making a board bow. I would like to have a decent size rizer/handle area, with the arrow rest cut into the bow.

Although some of this may sound out of the ordinary, I am slowly learning bowyer language. I built an osage longbow for my son a few years back, with limited bowyer information. Pics to follow today, hopefully.

I have been woodworking for over 14 years, and have a great desire to build my own bow or bows, and to hunt with them. So, I will probably have lots of questions.

Thanks, Wes
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage Board bow question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
A little further info here. The one I would like to build is like canshooter's #2 boo backed oak.

Also, at this point I do not know what my draw length is for a trad bow. My is 29" for my compo..., well I hate tyo say the word, but I think we all know what I'm talking about. I believe my draw length will be shorter.

Should I just draw back one of my friends trad bows, to a confortable anchor, and measure with a yard stick. Or is there a better way?

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Wes, you do not need to follow a growth ring because you have the bamboo as a backing. The reason for following a growth ring on an unbacked bow is so that the continuous ring acts as the backing. Most bamboo backed osage (BBO) bows use quarter sawed osage - that is the growth rings are perpendicular to the backing. Dean Torges' book and video on bamboo backed bows is a great resource. Find it at bowyersedge.com

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
No you don't have to follow a growth ring if you are going to use boo for a backing.The main thing you want is a straight grained board.If you have severe run off it may cause problems for you.I like quarter  and rift sawed boards the best for my glue up bows. Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Thanks, Shaun & Dave. I really appreciate the insight trad gang people give, and their patience with newbies like me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©