Author Topic: My first board bow...Using 4est build-along  (Read 524 times)

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
My first board bow...Using 4est build-along
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I just started this bow today. I am building it like the " so, you want to build a bow - build along"

It is red oak. Me a my father-in-law, Joe, sawed these boards about three years ago. The grain looks pretty good, to me.

I plan to back it with boo, and make the handle/riser out of osage. Although, I,m not sure how that will look. But only one way to find out.

Any ideas, help, or critisim will be appreciated.

Wes

Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first board bow...Using 4est build-along
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
By the way, it is 68", and 1-3-4 wide @ the riser.

My little helper is my four year old, that got him a moose today with my actual first bow.lol.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Saw that narrower board in half and make a bend in the handle bow. Much easier for the beginner. More on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
I agree with George. Learn to tiller a bow properly first.  Also if your bow will be 1 3/4" at the fades your bamboo backing will be too thick. A thin (1/8")hickory backing would be an easier job and can be a very effective combined with red oak. Maple or elm backing would be better.  
  If you read George's site you will see that no backing is necessary if you choose the right piece of wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Thanks George and Pat. I was under the assumption that a board bow had to be backed, and I wanted to back with wood. I don't care for covering wood with paint so I didn't want drywall tape, silk, etc. as a backing.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
You don't have to back a board bow.  The grain should tell you if you back it.  A selfbow will perform better than a backed bow, all else being equal.  When I think of "backing" a bow, I am  usually simply protecting the back from lifting a splinter.  A backing like this doesn't do any, or much, tension work.  Boo is not a good choice to back a bow for this purpose.  It's just too much work and it is heavy.  Rawhide is a better choice.

If you add a piece to the back to take over the tension work from the core, you are making a composite bow, which is different than a board bow, as it has come to be understood.  Boo is a fantastic choice for a composite bow.  I'd argue that red oak isn't the best core wood though since it isn't especially strong in compression.  But it certainly can work.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Only reason I back bow's is mostly to induce some reflex and sometimes deflex reflex.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Things are coming along. Just not on my bow. My two boys bows are though. Here are a few pics. Mostly of Brycen's bow, he is the one in the pics.

These are of Brycen and his bow.

Here are some of my bow. Red Oak and Osage.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
Cool!  What did you back your son's bow with?  You also did a great job on the fades.  If dutchwarbow (Nick) reads this he'll be happy to see you didn't copy mine.     :biglaugh:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Brycens bow backing came from Wally World. Just some type of camo pattern material they had. Wasn't all that enthused when I bought it, although Brycen was. After I got it on and sanded to where it is now I was very pleased.
As for the fades, it must be too early for me. Wasn't sure if it was a compliment or location joke I don't understand. Anyway, there will be more to come before long.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
It was certainly a compliment!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Thank you, Sir. I certainly appreciate any compliment, expecially from a Bowyer with your talent.
On another note. Today my stanley surform arrived. Can't wait to try it out. Didn't get to today. Worked on hot water tank and two comodes. When it rains it pours.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©