Author Topic: Draw weight increase with finish?  (Read 337 times)

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight increase with finish?
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
I just finished up a laminated longbow which was 61.5# at my 30" draw length. I put in on the scale right after finish sanding to verify this.

Now, after the finish cured, I put the bow back on the scale and it was now 64#.

For my question:
Is it typical for the draw weight to increase a bit due to the thickness of the finish?

* I used an "unconventional" bow finish for this job, in case that makes any difference. I had some PPG omni automotive clearcoat left over from painting my truck last summer, and used to it to finish another bamboo backed bow last summer also and was pleased at how it turned out.

Plus, I know the clear is very flexible and will take some serious abuse, and if (when) it gets scratched, I can just wet sand it out.

I plan on dressing the gloss down to a nice satin for hunting.

I sprayed on 6 coats with an HVLP gun, so the  finish was pretty thick.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight increase with finish?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Shoot it 30 times then check it again.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
The only reason I can see that the clear coat caused it to draw stronger is if enough was applied to become another "lam".  But, then I would think the weight of the finish on the limbs would dimenish any additional speed of arrow flight if it were that thick.
Just my musings.

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I should also mention the bow is a laminated hybrid-style longbow. The stack from back to belly is as follows:

Glass
.030 Carbon
Actionwood
Action Boo
Action Boo
Actionwood taper
Glass

I will shoot the bow more to break it in after the finish has applied. I did shoot it about 75-100 times before the finish was applied to get everything tuned in the way I wanted it.

I did chrono it before, so I guess I can run it through again to see if in fact the extra couple pounds yields a fps or to ( not that it matters) -might be an interesting comparison if nothing else.
"Aim small, miss small"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©