Author Topic: first time glue up tips?  (Read 493 times)

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
first time glue up tips?
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Today will be my first time glue up. I have binghams take-down longbow kit. I have the heat box built, the form built, and all the supplys from the video that I have watched many, many times. I would appreciate any little helpful tips in this glue-up process that I can get. Thanks.

Offline Teagus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first time glue up tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
If using a hose, get a bucket of water. Inflate your hose. Stick each end in the water to check for leaks. Good to do on a first time new hose.

Be prepared. Gloves, beverage, good sing-a-long cd in the boom-box (Tom Petty),cell phone, lock the door & do not disturb sign.

Mike

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Do a complete dry run, and take notes!   :)

Lay out everything in order of glue-up.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I have only built one glass one piece longbow(Bingham) and it failed. Be sure your riser tapers(and limb wedges) are feathered out to nothing and that they are straight. The fades are where most of the stresses occur and that is exactly where mine failed.
  Also like Mike said, have everything ready and be able to work uninterrupted until you get your glue up(s) completed and in the oven. Be sure to keep watch while it is in the oven. Unexpected things, like hose deflation, clamp slippage and other things can happen and if Mr. Murphy is correct, it will happen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Mac, I dont know if you can do it, but an extra pair of hands comes in really handy. I usually call a son in law or something to give me that extra advantage. They learn along the way also.

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the tips, keep'em coming, I'm taking notes.

Offline mikeineugene

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I am on my third binghams T/D longbow and i have learned a few things.Mix plenty of glue,lay out laminations in correct order and make sure that the laminations have not slipped under the pressure of the air hose.My first set of limbs had a slipped piece of glass but luckily it was not bad enough to cause a huge problem.I have a lot to learn but i should be able to avoid the above issues in the future.Also i should add that my first two T/D longbows shoot smooth and fast.Good luck.

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Do not skimp on the filament tape (or whatever tape you decide to use) when you have your lams glued up and on your form.  Tape is cheap and it will keep your lams from slipping.

Pre cut a couple pieces of plastic wrap and hang it vertically with some tape so that it is accessible.  When your fingers have glue on them it is pretty tough to get it out of the package!

If you are putting accent strips in a riser block you can use masking tape on every piece prior to gluing it up.  Doing this will save you a bunch of grinding when you take it out of the (kitchen) oven.  I actually use masking paper (bought at Lowes) and tape it all over my form so that I don't have to use paste wax on it.  I temporarily tape it to my form, then I use a razor blade and cut it exactly to the surface of my form.  When this is done, I put a single layer of tape right down the length of the form and it seals the masking paper's edge to the form.  Makes clean up a snap when you take your new limb off of the form.

The truly hardest part of making you bow will be starting it!  You'll do fine, just take your time and remember -- it is supposed to be fun!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
If I don't have a pin system to keep stuff in place, on a 1 pc,I mark center on form,lams,riser and glass where required,to make sure nothing slips.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
I like to put my cup of glue into the warm oven while I'm laying things up, it helps it spread easier.  I take my strapping tape and cut a bunch of pieces to length and dangle them off of the bench.  I hold the pieces in place and push them down to where I want them while my wife applies the tape.  While you are doing this you will get glue on your gloves and by having the tape cut in advance will save some headaches.  If you use plastic wrap, before or after the tape, be sure that it doesn't get traped in between a lam while seating everything.  After you inflate your hose and check the pressure, I like to give it another pound or two to make sure the pressure didn't back off while it was checked.  This probably isn't necessary as the pressure will increase anyway after you put it in the hot oven. It's more of a piece of mind thing then anything else.  Good luck.

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
apex hit it.  DRY run DRY run.  warm glue, no disturbances, stay calm and don't hurry.  pre-heat your hot box.  preheating the lams and glass doesn't hurt either.  A CLEAN WORK AREA!!  compressed air to blow off your glass and lams.  HAVE FUN!  DON'T DRINK TOO MUCH!
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys, very good tips, thats why I'm on this site, lots of info. Thanks again.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
Don't pre-heat your smooth-on past warm, or it will gell on you before you get to the second lam!   :)   :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Thanks Apex, the dry run was a good tip, my form would not bolt together on the dry run at the fadeout, so I have to fix that this weekend.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©