Author Topic: need advice (re)tillering old fiberglass  (Read 286 times)

Offline FlintRiverKen

• Trad Bowhunter
need advice (re)tillering old fiberglass
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
A lot of evidence indicates the old 60" Flex-craft semi-recurve was never finished or shot. I got it to practice repair/refinishing and to shoot.

On first bracing, I notice out of tiller (lwr limb stiff) that is plainly visible. Coming in 19" from each tip I measure like 1" difference with t-squre. I started carefully sanding the stiff belly, brace and measure, sand....I tried to sand evenly from the fade to the tip.

Taking it slow, I worked on it a little over few days- because nothing seemed to be happening my nerves would get shot and I'd lay it down. I'd read when it happens it's quick, and last light was on it again and got to 1/4" stiffer in lwr limb. Would y'all recommend I stop and try shooting here? I shoot split finger and the handle is fairly long like a BP colt shape.

Any advice appreciated. I still need to add phenolic to tips I guess that may change tiller a little too.  -thanks, Ken

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need advice (re)tillering old fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Absolutely try shooting it.  Also compare the width profile of the two limbs very carefully.  Generally if you are gonna do tiller adjustments on a glass bow you use width, not thickness.  There is some leeway with thickness, as a function of the thickness of the belly glass.  Some older designs worked fine with more pronounced positive tiller (what you described).  Otherwise, somebody missed the thickness and/or taper recipe on the glue up pretty dramatically.

I would not expect tip overlays to effect tiller.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©