Author Topic: My new bow - Advantages of carbon?  (Read 462 times)

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
My new bow - Advantages of carbon?
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Hello,
I just finished up a longbow in which I used a .030" carbon strip. I placed right behind the glass on the back of the bow. It's a 62" r/d "hybrid" longbow. I talked to Elmont at Bingham's (who was extremely helpful -GREAT service) and he said the carbon would add smoothness and 5 fps, basically making a 50# bow shoot like a 55#, etc. So we know there is a slight advantage in speed (not that I am concerned), as also witnessed by the use of Carbon in many top end fast bows of today.

My question is: does carbon also add "smoothness" to the bow? My bow I made draws 62# at my 30" draw. And yes I am sure I have a 30" draw, 30 1/4" to the tooth I anchor to actually.

This bow draws and shoots so smooth I can hardly believe it. There is ZERO hand shock, and the bow feels as if you are drawing 50#, not 62#. I had to recheck my scale 3 times, then scale it at the archery store to verfiy b/c I didn't believe it was that heavy. My friend has a bow from a  well known bowyer (no carbon) that we checked back to back on the same scale at the same draw and scaled 5# lighter, but we both agree it feels 10# heavier.

I am wondering is it the carbon that is contributing to this smoothness factor, my core laminations (action boo and action wood)? Or is it just in the bow design itself?

The reason I am asking is that if the carbon makes this much difference I am going to use it in all my bows.

I know the best way would be to make an identical bow w/ out the carbon and see, but I'd hate to go through the work and have it not come out shooting the same.

Anyone with more experience with carbon have any insights to share?
"Aim small, miss small"

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My new bow - Advantages of carbon?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Here's a couple of pics- sorry about the poor quality. I hadn't finish sanded the bow yet either.

"Aim small, miss small"

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
I see your bow has most of it's reflex in the outterlimbs. This decreases stringangle, gives a better direction to the limbmovement, and thus draws smoother.

don't know about carbon!

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
looks nice.Did the build go smooth for you?

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Great looking bow.  Where did the bright green come from, or is that from your camera - doesn't look like the green mnt camo action wood I've ever seen.
  Interesting concept of a bow that pulls 62# but feels like 50#.  I can understand that bows of the same weight have different cast - a sluggish 50# hickory self bow doesn't deliver the arrow like  well tillered 50# osage bow.  But they are both 50#.  I believe the carbon lam improves performance, but if it's 62# it still has to "feel" like 62#.  I don't want to sound sarcastic or critical in any way, but it's physics - a suitcase with 50# of lead feels the same as one with 50# of anything else.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
The build went pretty smooth, a few minor screw ups (on my part) but nothing that couldn't be fixed easily.

The green is from the green mountain camo, although I still had the high gloss finish on that I hadn't dressed down yet, so it definitely shows up bright in the light of the camera flash. I used a dymondwood blank for riser too, and I wonder if the wood isn't shaded a bit differently than that of the superactionwood camo?

I also understand what you are saying about the draw, and you're absolutely right physics is physics- It is 62# and obviously feels like 62# when holding at full draw, but I think what I mean to say is that it is very smooth and even getting to that point so therefore "feels" like it's a lighter bow, when in fact it's not.

It's tough to explain but I've read a lot of people mention similar situations when going a certain design of bow. I think the main reason it feels "lighter" is that it doesn't "stack" and is even on the weight increase from 28 out to my 30" and beyond... like some bows increase 2.5# per inch from 20-28" draw, then 3.5# from 28-29, then 6# from 29-30" and so on.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
From my experience, carbon makes little difference  when placed between glass. Bow design is what makes a bow have a smooth draw . I think if you made the same bow without carbon  it would have the same manners and be just as fast. ( plus it would cost less to build )

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline bowdeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
I know what your saying about the bow feeling lighter.  A few years ago at hunting camp a friend of mine had a Black Widow longbow that I shot.  I had been shooting a Bear A-mag takedown that was the same weight as the longbow 55# but when I shot the longbow it felt significantly lighter.  I don't know if it had carbon in it or if it was the design but if I didn't know any better I would have guessed the longbow was drawing in the mid to upper 40's.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I like the bow,it's the same one I been saving up for. Glad it shoots good. I wished that I could answer your question. You did how ever answer mine though. I was considering the carbon strip too.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the kind words. I owned or have owned a lot of bows, and have gotten the opportunity to shoot many others. I really understand how much better a bow performs when it is fitted specifically for you. I spent a lot of time carving the finger grooves and shaping the riser to fit my hand.

The bow shoots truly "dead in hand" with no shock whatsoever, is very quiet, VERY smooth drawing, and puts em' right where you look. It isn't particularly fast, but the aforementioned qualities are more important to me anyways.

I was going to go with a stitched leather wrap, but decided I liked the patterns in the wood too much and ended up just stippling it instead.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Its almost too pretty,great lookin bow!I dont know carbon,sorry.But I think if the one without carbon didn't peform the same you would have no problem finding a good home for it.
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
I would say the smoothness is from your limb shape and short riser = long  working limb and mild R/D. Carbon adds a small amount of stability (side to side twist) and maybe a couple fps especially if used as the actual back - not under the glass. It also adds an interesting "plink" sound on the shot. I don't think it will add any smoothness to the draw feel. Very nice looking bow, well done!

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
nice bow, PM sent

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Who's your friend?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »