Author Topic: broke my first bow  (Read 691 times)

Offline vth0kie12

• Trad Bowhunter
broke my first bow
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
i broke my first bow today. i had it tillered and was try to put a string on it the old fashion way. i knew better just was in too much of a rush. man it sucks.

i think it would have broken anyway, at least thats what im telling myself.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broke my first bow
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I did the same thing with my first bow, though I was shooting mine. It hurts but keep the shavings flying and keep the faith.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Been there done that:) At least you learned.. Now jump back on the horse and ride again..

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
We've all been there. Look close at the break area and try to determine what went wrong. Such a a dip or thinner area, some grain run off, ripples on the belly? Always try to learn something from each failure then each success.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I think I have broken 4 in the last 5 weeks.....  I've been trying my hand at flipping/bending the tips and there has definitely been a learning curve!  I think I have it figured out now.  I broke two just this past weekend, one on the band saw (blade walked on me) and I hit one that was secured in a vice while moving a freezer around my shop!  

Sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes you are th bug.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I think one of the first things I read about making bows was "If you ain't breaking, you ain't makink" LOL
 I've broke a few and finally slowed down enough that I think I will get one shooting.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
broke one  less than a week ago. The only thing I had left was writing in the poundage. Keep buildin.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Man, I remember my first.  I sat there in shock for a like a min.  Trying to put it back together like an idiot.

Offline Broke another one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Look at my name....You broke your first bow I've broken 2 out of 3 i have made. On each broken bow I've studied as to why they broke and I learned not to make the same mistake. A learning experience, that's all you can chalk it up to, good luck on your next bow and don't forget there is a wealth of information here just ask one of the experts.
If I am wrong let me know it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
I wish I knew how many I broke after 20 years of making and breaking bows. Jawge

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Broke one today , right in front of the wife. Sure is loud in the living room... Oh well will start a new one in the morning. Keep your head up.

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Been there too!!! I hate to loose effort like crazy but after I licked my wounds...I have made three more bows that all work pretty well!
Good luck and keep at it!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
When you brake the next one you can splice the two at the handle and make one from the two broken!

Well,,, maybe!  :D  

I was lucky starting out. I'd made more than 10 before I broke one. Probably too cautious!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
When they explode on the tree, it's quite a rush:) I almost cried when my first bow broke. Now I just smile:) And then start another.  

One time when a bow broke, we used duct tape to hold it together, then took a picture. Was pretty funny..

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I broke my 1st bow as well. Now I've broken my second.  Saturday while shooting and talking to my wife.  Fortunately I'd already started my next. Good luck.

Offline Bill Sagues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
I have broke two out of four since I started last month following 4est's build along.  I was started on my next one within hours of each that failed.  Two have survived and are shooting fine that will do until I start my next one this weekend!
Enjoy.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I probably broke the first 6-8. When I got away from boards and moved to staves things got a lot better.

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
I've done the same thing trying to string with the push pull method.hard lesson to learn about a bow stringer.makes me feel like i lost my dog

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
i have only been doin this about a year, i have to say i have a stack of kindling outside the garage now, including several that drew blood.

if you are building board bows, try backing them, that is what got me to the point that my bows started staying together  that and listening to all the pros on this site, and then just not giving up

good luck brother, it is so addicting, i am TDY at a conference right now, and not being at home and not being able to work on a bow in the evening is killing me, logging on to tradgang right now is my guilty pleasure

Offline vth0kie12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
thanks guys for let me know that im not alone....i have already started my next bow, hope it goes better than the first. i think i had it to thick at the riser and to much flex at the tips.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©