Author Topic: Sweetgum Selfbow Disaster  (Read 385 times)

Offline Broke another one

• Trad Bowhunter
Sweetgum Selfbow Disaster
« on: January 30, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Hello all,

My sweetgum self bow snapped (I know, how unexpected) I know Why and all but I was wodering is there an easier way to chase a ring than just scarping witha draw knife (I dont have a draw knife but I sharpened a file down and am using that as a substatue which works great)? How far down into a stave should I go for the ring,? Or does it really matter? Is there a really nice build alongfor selfbows that I could draw knowledge from? I post pictures of the failed sweetgum soon.
                              Thanks,
                            Broke Another One
If I am wrong let me know it.

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sweetgum Selfbow Disaster
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
who would know about sweetgum?    :confused:   ...but I'd have to guess that since it's a white wood you would not have to chase a ring at all...remove the bark (pop it off in the late summer/early fall) and use what's under it as your back.  You could use a rasp to do the profile/belly rough shape and then a scraper...I make scrapers out of old stanley handsaws...
good luck.
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Sweet gum is a white wood and all you need is to remove the bark.  I can imagine it was hard chasing a ring on that wood. It has interlocking grain worse than elm.  I bet it was a booger to split too!  You probably had several ring violations on the back, its very hard to see between the rings on most white woods.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Sweetgum! Now I've always wondered about that. Since it's impossible to split I figured it would make one tough bow. Of course as they said just remove the bark and you've got the back right there. Looks like it would have to be sawed instead of split

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
Im not sure that sweet gum is so hard to split. It was pretty easy for me, in fact it practically split itself. Good to know I dont have to chase the rings anymore, I cant tell you how hard it was to not miss the 1/32" dark rings.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
You may be calling some other wood sweet gum.
The real stuff is almost impossible to split.

One "Friend" dropped off a bunch of sweet gum logs for me to cut and split to supply firewood for a disabled relative. It took me 30 minutes of bashing wedges with a sledge hammer to get one 24" long piece split. I split the rest of the pile with a chainsaw.

I have cut a lot on my place while thinning the woods but consign it all to a burn pile rather than try to split it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »

Im sure its sweet gum

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Yep, definately sweet gum in your pictures.

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
perhaps the tree was diseased or had some rot.  that would explain the easy splitting and your bow blowing up.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Couldnt see any rot on any of the wood and the tree was healthy and happy till I cut it down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©