Author Topic: Making a bow out of a hundred year old board?  (Read 475 times)

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
Making a bow out of a hundred year old board?
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
I have some dry, solid lumber that is over a hundred years old. I was stored the attic above my house. I was thinking about making a bow out of this, mabey two out of one board, one to shoot, one to hang on the wall.
Would this be possible? Or would the wood be brittle or somthing? They are solid oak boards.
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making a bow out of a hundred year old board?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
In my opinion, not worth the trouble.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
What Kind of trouble would there Be? I have no idea, wich is why I asked the ?. The boards were hand cut by my great grandfather, wich is why I wanted to use them.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
With lumber that special, make yourself an heirloom piece of furniture or a bow rack.  You'll waste a lot of that wood getting it down to a bow, and even then you're not guaranteed that it won't break.  If my great grandad cut the wood, I'd build something I could use every scrap of that lumber for.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Col HJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
One of my prize possesions is an Osage self bow built by an Uncle in 1935. He and several other young men in their home town of Roscoe, TX were invited to the local railroad station to tear down an old fence, and their pay was to be keeping any of the old materials. Well my uncle brought home one old fence post and and carved a beautiful bow out of it. He passed it to me maybe 10 years ago and I carefully displayed it in my home until maybe 3 months ago when one day I get the bright ideal to see if their was any life left in it. So I made up a string and oh so carefully braced it to 6" and then gently exercised the limbs a bit, listening for any creaking/cracking or other indicators I should stop...but they never came and soon I was launching some very quick and satisfying arrows. It draws perhaps 60# and has taken maybe 1" of string follow with weekly shooting. I had the thought that if the fence that supplied this fine piece was old and decrepit enough to justify replacement in the middle of the great depression in a rather poor West Texas town it must have been rather old at the time, maybe 30+ years, suggesting that at least one very old piece of wood is still sound and shootable. I say build away!

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Ya, I have plenty of old old lumber, I mean barn lofts full, as The farm has been in the family for 6 generations, Its still a running catle farm, but all the old tools from who knows how old are still there, draw knives rasps and everything, and thats what I wanted to use to build the bow. My house is over 150yrs old, so a hundred year old bow hanging on the wall would fit just fine. Did I mention I've never built a bow before? Maby a bowyer on here would be up to the challange?  :)

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Ya, I have plenty of old old lumber, I mean barn lofts full, as The farm has been in the family for 6 generations, Its still a running catle farm, but all the old tools from who knows how old are still there, draw knives rasps and everything, and thats what I wanted to use to build the bow. My house is over 150yrs old, so a hundred year old bow hanging on the wall would fit just fine. Did I mention I've never built a bow before? Maby a bowyer on here would be up to the challange?  :)

Offline bowur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
first try some other old lumber, and then the lumber from your grandfatehr. White oak is better than red oak for makin bows, so you might wanna check what kind it is

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
as said... if you are lucky it will be white oak...either way, if you back it, you might want to use hickory instead of bamboo as it will cause less compression on the belly wood......
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline Tucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
As long as the moisture content was right and the wood grain is right for making a bow, go for it! Cool to have a bow with wood your ancestor cut.

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
i am new to this myself but i wonder about backing it with somthing possible a hickory strip and just try it you arent out anything and it will make for a great story if it doesnt work and a cool bow if it does work.... possible the moisture content could be raised by keeping it in the bathroom for a few days?

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Go for it!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Do it! I assume it is hardwood.  I made a red oak board bow from a b oard I found in my Dad's shop. 30+ years old. I've lost track of the no. of red oak board bows I've made.  Just remember the rules for making board bows. First, lake sure the grain is straight. Second, make sure the grain is straight. Third, make sure the grain straight. More on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html

Offline NEProf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Remember the other rule for making your bow - you must post pictures for us to see!!

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I didn't see it if you said what kind of wood this is. That can make all the difference between a successful bow and something else.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©