Author Topic: Honey locust for primitive bows  (Read 781 times)

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Honey locust for primitive bows
« on: January 31, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I have been building a few board bows and finally got the itch to cut some osage and start the curing process.  During that time I had to wrestle hundreds of honey locusts on my land to get to the osage.  We consider the locusts to be trash trees here in Texas but I read on the bowyer's den where it was once used as bow wood.  I'm thinking about building a bow with them since I can't touch the osage logs until later.  Anyone have any experience with honey locust outside of being impailed ?  Thanks

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Honey locust for primitive bows
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
i had the same thought.  i did cut one but decided the piece was no suitable.  its hard to find any close to straight and long. i am still interested in trying it hopefully some one will give more info.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
I have never used honey locust but I have seen quite a few very nice honey locust bows. Honey locust pods makes great wildlife mast also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
dang things keep my tractor tires full of holes...  :(   never used it...black locust is good though.   :)
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Honey locust would be the less desirable of the locusts. Pretty soft stuff.Black locust will make a fine bow but does fret pretty easy if you don't make the belly flat.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©