Author Topic: Anyone ever use Eucalyptus for a riser?  (Read 383 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever use Eucalyptus for a riser?
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:10:00 AM »
I don't know if I can articulate into words the incredible amount of knowledge, comradery, and general admiration for this passion of ours i've amassed since joining the site two weeks ago. I have to first and foremost thank all of you who share this info and tell you it is not in vain.

The things I have learned already I hope to implement into making my own bows, which hopefully one day I can teach my son.

In doing my research for materials, I came across the usual suspects: osage (2 weeks ago I had no idea what osage was, or a stave, or a bowyer for that matter! Heaven knows what I will learn in the coming months) maple, curly maple, oak, purpleheart, yadda yadda yadda. Bubinga! Man that stuff is perty.

But I also came across a gorgeous piece of eucalyptus. And it's heft (density) really attracted me. It's graining was intense, and resembled exactly what 4est was saying to look for in the red oak used for board bows. It's price point was on point too. Some 8/4 was only $9.90 per bd ft! and the stock was a good 8" wide. I figure A couple risers at least out of the stock, but is it not a material of choice for a reason? Am I looking at the grain of a block riser that size correctly, or does it matter? I ask because I see the stock used for risers on the gorgeous bows sponsors are building, and they are riddled with rings, not lines...

Can't wait to get started on my first bow, but nothing good comes without research. Thank you for that info ya'll!

Offline Broke another one

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever use Eucalyptus for a riser?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »
As far as I know of, the wood used as risers and tip over lays doesn't make a bit of difference. But as a bow I would have no clue how well it would preform.
If I am wrong let me know it.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Lots of Euc. here in So Cal, and I would have to say use something else, I know I have seen one bow made, but I think it was a piece that was stabilized professionally.

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Avoid it.  A bow making friend of mine had to replace several bows made from that spicies.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline chase n nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
Guys, I am no bowmaker (yet) but I will asks some of my mates that do roll their own and see what they say. I do know it is not a very common material choice and I think it has something to do with the oilyness of the timber.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
Aesop

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline Lgraham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I am a cabinetmaker and have not used regular eucalyptus, but i have used the hybrid called Lyptus which is supposed to be much more stable. Well, i am to the point that i won't even use it for cabinets because the wood moves so much even after it's dry. I would not even try it.

Offline cheech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
i'm from australia and we have most types of eucalyptus i'm not sure on the type you have over there but red gum a type of eucalyptus tree when dry if you wet the timber it has a colour that is from a dark reddish orange to a a bright glowing light red through to a deep dark reddish brown and is as tough as nails when seasoned well it is usded from house stumps and bridge pylons because it can handle a lot on weight on the ends on it's grain but it will snap like a twig if you put a fraction of the weight on the edge of it's grain.
and most eucalyptus is the same it's only really good for stuctures such as house frams fence posts and is really good for fire wood as is contains a lot of resen and oils in it it also does not rot quickly for the same reason.
i hope this helps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©