Author Topic: Crazy Idea???  (Read 354 times)

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
Crazy Idea???
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
I recently decided to try my hand at making a bow.  With limited time and space right now, I have decided to try my hand by making a kids bow. It turned out pretty fair I thought.  Its about 42" long and pulls about 18# @ 16 inches.  Just about right for my daughter.  Well I really enjoyed it and decided to go for round two. My real desire is to build a laminated bow for her.  But I had already worked down a beautiful piece of osage to a ring that is close to 1/4 inch thick.  Nice and straight believe it or not. But it is only about 45" long.  I then had the idea what it I built a riser and then cut the stave in half and tried to make a take down with self bow limbs? I know this may seem a little strange but I like to be different.  Keep in mind that this is a kids bow and even if it breaks it is not a failure but just a lesson learned.  Any ideas or thoughts on this true "Hybrid prototype".  Thanks

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crazy Idea???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
I have seen several 3 piece takedown selfbows.  It works just fine.  Make sure your limbs don't bend at all where they attach to the riser. Draw the bow a few inches past your child's drawlength to be sure it is safe for her.

Have fun.  Post pics.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Brian, I am considering making a child's bow or two.  What resources did you use to plan out your first one?  I am looking for plans/ideas.  Thank you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Colin the first one was a 42 inch self bow.  It was actually alot easier than I thought it would be but then again you can get by with a lot more on a kids bow pulling a light weight than you can with higher poundage. But as far as resources.  This web site and my imagination. I just looked at my bows and thought smaller and go by trial and error.  So far the one Im working on right now is coming along alot better than I thought it would.  I glued up a black walnut riser with a nice strip of osage and drew out a riser.  It looks pretty good.  Then I took an osage stave and chased a ring and ended up with 2 24" limbs.  Ive had alittle trouble getting them lined up on the riser but I think I've got that whooped now. It looks like its gonna be about 47" and right now at 15" its pulling about 30#s. My  target is about 20 to 24 lbs at that length.  You are really only limited by you imagination.  And by the way the Traditional Bowyers Bibles are an awesome place to start.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Thank you!  I will need to pick up one a Bowyers Bible I think.  I am not the best at translating my imagination to a functioning piece of wood...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©