Author Topic: Bow build and Swap (Post in the other sign up thread)  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow build and Swap (Post in the other sign up thread)
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I've been seeing alot of trades going on here at the Gang and was wondering if any selfbowyers or any bowyers period here would be interested in building a bow and getting in the list and drawing names to see who sends a bow to who Kinda like they do the knife trade and the arrow trade that was done recently.

I was thinking maybe...
#1 Build a bow between the 40# to 60# range at an average draw of 28"
#2 enter in the post that you are in.
#3 Draw names at the end of three months from the date the post starts. and post the list with who's sending to who and swap some home built bows.
Any Skill level welcome

What do you guys think. Would there be enough guys interested in doing this to make it worth while.
 If So I will head up the post right here in the bowyers bench and draw the names and post the list at the end of the given time period

Any suggestions Or Yays or Nays?
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow build and Swap (Post in the other sign up thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Ive thought about that for a long time. Maybee you can have a value estimation minimum so you kinda get what you give type thing.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Yeah mater I was Kinda thinkin the same thing but did not want to exclude anyone, I was thinking selfbows and board bows but didn't want to leave the fibrerglass guys out.
 Some of the selfbows I've seen are just as nice as the glass bows and vice versa.
 I would say that anybody that wanted in would just have to give it there best and build a shootable bow and leave it at that and hope nobody would send a crapper.

I guess we could do it like the bow classifieds and nobody with a less than trad bowhunter rating just to kinda verify that the entries are genuine Tradgangers
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
it sounds like fun, but it wouldn't be fair for me to send my humble selfbows and get something super nice in return. From what I have seen, a selfbow's average sale price is much lower. Don't get me wrong, I put my very best in each bow, but materials, tools, and most of all experience are not yet developed to the levels of some bowyers. There is also a liability issue as well. I have a bow right now that I have thought about doing this with. I would do it if it goes down though. I will be watching.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I would be up for it also but it is not practical for me now ; out of work and haven't built a bow in a year.
  My take on a swap...I never consider monetary value when I trade. If you like the trade and I like the trade, the trade is good! On PA each year we have a Christmas Trade. Each participant puts their name in the pot and each gets a recipient from that group. The only stipulation is it must be hand made. Some folks send bows, some arrows or an arrow, some leather work, knives, etc. Some guys that are just starting out are ashamed to try to enter but if you think of it as the spirit of giving(and not the receiving) everyone ends up happy. It has worked very well for a few years and will continue to with more and more participants each year.
  If I were to participate I would prefer it be selfbows. I have no problem with glass bows but it seems like oranges to apples if the two are mixed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I love the idea.  Just the motivation I need to finish a couple of projects AND they won't be cluttering up the Man Cave.

I sure hope there is some kind of organized person out there.
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Offline Teagus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I have been making bows for about 10 years but was a hack until I got onto this forum in December. I have a r/d design that I am applying all the tricks I learned here. That bow is intended to go to a young man who helped me in my shop, helped us move, glued tips on arrows at events. He is now a machine gunner on top of a Stryker in Afganistan. I have not figured out the shipping process yet. Heard it is tough to get them home through customs so the bow will likely get passed on over there. Just a thought for an excuse to make bows. Guess I have been hanging out at the VA hospital alot lately.

Mike W.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm in.  48# @ 27" please  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
i'm in. don't have a bow to send right now, but something tells me i can get one built in 3 months.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I would love to be a part of this. Good incentive for us new selfbowyers to really take care and put a lot of thought into the process. Not sure if I will do a stave or board bow, but will give it my best.

I would be happy with anything that I get from a fellow Ganger and think it should be up to the individual if they want to be included, irrespective of the style of bow they build, jmho.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I don't think I will join this one but am looking forward to everyones contributions coming up in photos...maybe I will learn a thing or two and be able to build a decent bow soon.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline BJP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I like the idea the bows i have built are not much for lookers but they are shootable. Maybe do a rookie to rookie/pro to pro type trade. I have no where near the building experience as most do here. Just an idea.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
John, I like your attitude!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Why stop at bows, You could collect bows, arrows, flint points, knives,etc, leather goods ( quiver , etc ) or leather, anything traditional and handmade. Then have drawings for each of the goods you have on hand. Notify the winner and if they decline the offer draw again.??

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I agree with Pat B 100% on the monetary thing. Don't matter to me. I am not a bowyer of the caliber of some of these fellers but I am confident I can build a fine shooter.

I Also Agree with the selfbow and glass bow thing. Maybe we could split it up and the self bow guys can swap with other selfbow guys and the glass bow guys with glass bow guys. I particularly don't care wether I get a self bow or glass, I love'em all
 I also think it would be a good Idea to maybe stretch it out on a four or five month line to give whomever plenty of time to build a bow and have it ready. This would still give every one a month or two to shoot and tune for season.

DVSHUNTER.. If anybody would be worried about liability we can throw a disclaimer in the rules and everybody that trades would would take it upon themselves to use sound judgment in shooting the bow they recieve and in no way be able to hold any one liable for an accident.

Pat B..
 I've seen some of your bows on here and we can't let you slip out of this thing if it goes. I'll send you a good stave if I have to. Some lucky feller would be missing out on a heck of a bow if you miss out

Give any feedback and voice any ideas that would help on this and if you are interested So far theres about ten guys who give a Yay.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
i'd sure like one of pat's bows. always wanted an all wood bow

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Two years ago we organize a bow exchange here,and it went well.It will be alot of work putting it together for someone,but well worth it.We had at the time about 15 guys participate,and having an odd # was alittle problem,it worked out in the end.Also the time span needed adjusting for some.One of the criterion was to post a pic of the bow you received and only positive criticism.Hope it gets a go.Frank

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Frank,
 I like the the pic posting
I also think that 10 or fifteen guys would be worth it.
 I just thought it was a good Idea and would be fun to swap some bows that the Gang made.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Kris you might want to post this on Pow wow and see what kind of response you get.Then you need to consider bow poundage,type,that everyone is considering to make and match it all up via email.Keep all informed and give each guy an address to mail the bow to.Comunication is one of the most important factors to monitor progress of the builds.It will work and very rewarding for all. I will be in when and if this takes off.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I'm in keep all of us informed
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©