Author Topic: Bow build and Swap (Post in the other sign up thread)  (Read 1028 times)

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow build and Swap (Post in the other sign up thread)
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I'd be interested, Kris, given the proper arrangements.  Good suggestion.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Kris, a stave is no problem. I have a basement full. The time line you suggest makes it more possible for me. I need to get back into building bows again anyway. I really miss it.
  As far as glass or selfbows I prefer selfbows. I have a Jeffery's custom recurve and a Treadway custom long bow I haven't shot in years.  
  Posting pics after you have received it is the way to go. That's the way we do our Christmas Trade on PA. The surprise is the fun part.
  I generally build all my bows for myself; that is for my hunting weight. Anywhere from 45# to 60#.  If everyone that participates will list a bow weight at a specific draw length they prefer then the one building their bow can make it close to their specs.
  Also, if someone is worried about liability, an exchange is probably not for you. The K.I.S.S rule works best for these types of trades. Things can get way too complicated if allowed then all the fun is eliminated. It should be about trust and giving.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
that sounds good Great Pat,
 I think if we list the weight we like in a 10# range would be good. I was thinking about drawing at the end of the time frame but I guess either way would work. On the weight restrictions I was thinking of keeping at a minimum of legal hunting weight so doing it first and listing the weight we like would probably be great
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
I think we have enough interest,
 I will head this up and post with the rules in a few days and we will get this started.
 Everybody will know who they are gonna build for but the guy you are gonna send to won't know who he is getting from until he gets the bow. That way pics can be posted through out the build if any body needs any advice or tiller critique and the suprise won't be ruined for the recipient.

I got a real nice piece of Osage picked out for this, It's gonna be fun ain't it  :D
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
I just participated in a swap of native american style flutes.The whole idea of that swap was random matchups and trade info.If someone felt they were matched with someone who needed guidance,or may have some to offer,this would promote learning and give the chance to meet other builders.some people got valuable,professional items,some got an opportunity to exchange ideas and help on a more personal level.
  Robert
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
I have a hickory board bow I just started I could add in, it's already for a lefty though(I'm a lefty) so that would need to be considered

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
What do you guys think about limiting this to members of trad bowhunter status or allow anyone in. It don't matter to me. I was just thinking of the trouble on the classifieds that was stopped by this restriction recently.
 I don't wanna leave any body out but don't want any guys coming along and joining trad gang just to get a free bow and not building one either.

What say the regulars here Yay or Nay on the restriction. I'll leave that up to majority opinion.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »
If you are matching people up at the beginning then trad bowhunters only, if you do it at the end, allow all, but require the ones without the status to send pics of their bow to you two days before the draw

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Can you use one you have just built or build one for that person?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Kris:  I would suggest trying to nail target weights within 5#.  Is everyone gonna hit it?  Maybe not, but it'll be a lot tighter than 10#.  Plus, I can shoot my 42# bow all day.  I can't shoot my 49# longbow more than one leg of 3D course before I'm tuckered out.  Just a thought.  Maybe others will feel differently.  Thanks for doing this.  It'll be fun!

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Not all archers are hunters but most folks come to TradGang because it is a traditional bowhunting site. I have no problem either way.
  I do think that any bow entered should be built specifically for this trade and not just one someone has hanging around. With 4 to 5 months, everyone should be able to build a bow for this trade.
  A random drawing of names will make it more fair to everyone. Issue each entry with a number then draw a name to go with that number.
  Posting pics along the way is a good idea also. I'm sure everyone would appreciate a bit of help and seeing different techniques others use to create the bow and/or solve problems...and it adds to the "community" effect of the trade. Just keep the recipients name out of it until they get their bow and post their pic with their new bow.
  On PA we had a 3rd party doing the drawing so nobody knew who or where. I don't know if that is possible here though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Fewer rules.  This should be fun.  I have someone's bow picked out already.  It's a bamboo backed osage, 48# @ 28".  I don't care what I get but it has to be a good faith effort and be signed.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Well I have a Osage stave with the bark on and been drying for about a year. I might have to find some sinew for the back because the rings are very close. I think I might put some skins on it also. This is going to be great fun. When the numbers are pick the weight and draw should be specified.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I want in.

but, shipment from usa to netherlands, or vice versa, is way to expensive... :(

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Hey Nick, if you want we can do a bow swap within Europe. My first thought was the same as yours, "sounds good, but way to expensive to ship". Maybe there are a few more guys from Europe here on the tradgang site that would like to do something like that.

----------
Andy

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
the way we did it over on Pirates of archery is they drew names of all participants.  YOu were given the name of who you were building for and then you p.m.'d that person to see what draw weight and length they needed.  there was no stipulation for glass, wood or other.  I personally would send what ever i have, glass or wood.  I make self bows and fiberglass with equal effort.  I wouldn't mine getting a board bow from anyone or a selfbow.  Remember its the giving thats the best part. receiving it just icing on the cake.  Count Me In guys!!
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
stik maybe a separate thread with a list of participants and guidelines.  I get excited about swaps, never know what your going to get!!
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Personally, I like the idea of making a bow to a person's draw weight/length.  I want to make sure I build them a bow they'll shoot.  However, I don't want to know who it is.  Perhaps you could get all the names, draw weights, and draw lengths submitted to you via personal message.  Then, you draw who builds for whom and pm the builder their mystery recipient's draw weight and length.  Just a thought.  Either way, I'm in!

Offline Tillrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
sounds like fun only i'm having a baby this month don't know if i'll be able to make a bow.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Alot of good thought's here guys. this ought to be great. I appreciate everyones opinions and thoughts on how this should go down.

Nick.. I'll Check on shipping to Netherlands. I would hate for you guys over the pond to get left out. If nothing is feasable then you Swissbow and any other guys from over the pond can swap with each other.

I'll start a seperate post with the guidelines and keep it simple as possible.
 Can't hardly wait to see this happen.
Kris
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©