Author Topic: rubberband forms  (Read 388 times)

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
rubberband forms
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:38:00 AM »
Have a question. What size dowels and spacing do you use on your forms?  Pine or hardwood dowel?
"the older I get the better I was"

Offline Tyler Langston

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rubberband forms
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
I used hardwood on mine and I spaced them every 1-1/2 inches but I think you could space the 2 inches and be ok. and I use 3/8 in dowels with a 3/8 in drill bit. They dont fit in tight so I glued them in and the pressure seem to hold them in to. Hope this helps

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
p
i've got 5/16"dowels   w/3/4" sticking out on each side of the form
 i've seen guys w/ way thicker dowels--but i had the dowels and used them -worked out fine---in fact on one form i have deck screws instead of dowels--and it works fine also
Mike

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
I use 3/8 hardwood dowels and they stick out approx one inch. So far I ripped apart some rubber bands but never had any problems with the dowels. The dowels are spaced about 3 inches and I get very nice glue lines with it.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002608;p=2

----------
Andy

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
i use 1/2" oak dowels and most stick out 1" or a little more. around the handle they stick out more like 2 to 2 1/2" so i can get more bands on it. i've had no problems with mine.

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I'm not saying that my method is the safest way  ;) , but I don't use dowels on my current form.  I just wrap the bands all the way around the form.  I feel relatively safe doing this because I use a liberal amount of filament tape on my form to secure the bands.  

Now that I wrote that, I'll tell you that my next form will have dowels drilled into it!  Doing it this way will enable me to use fewer bands with more coverage.

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
I use 1/2 " oak dowels that extend 2 inches out of the form on each side.  For the rubber bands I use inner tube bands or my new favorite which are pallett rubber bands.  3/4 of an inch wide and 72 inches long.

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
i dont use any dowels.  I find it works better if you go all the way around your form.

Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Here is a picture of the form that I've been using for 3 pc take downs.

Tonight I started working on a one piece form.  I just need to use a router to clean up the edge and then it will be time to glue up some more fun!  I may end up using dowels on this form but who knows?  If a dry run works out well I may just wrap this entire form too.

Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©