Author Topic: Post your home made tools  (Read 1374 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Post your home made tools
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
So as you go through life in the wood shop, you certainly find yourself making jigs as often if not more often than projects themselves. I was just wondering what you guys use in your shop that makes life easier for you. My most recent lil build was turning a laminate top from a kitchen island a buddy gave me for a benchtop into a multi-station. The first was a router table fence:

[/url] [/IMG]

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Post your home made tools
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I do have a few simple forms for bending and straightening selfbow staves but mostly I use a draw knife, rasp and scraper when building selfbows. For arrows, on the other hand, I made these (most) to make life simpler...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cobbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Hey Pat what are the rocks used for?   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
decorations! and to throw at squirrels robbing the bird feeders.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Pat, what do you use the two bottom tools for. My guess is slots for nocks and heads.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Yes!  One is a store bought needle file I use to round the sharp edges of the nock to protect the string at full draw. The other is a wire impregnated with grit for cutting ceramic tiles. I added the handle for ease of use.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
That last tool is neat Pat..

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
My Stave vice.  

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Cheap and easy, Roy. Just how I like them. d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
ScottM

I love your vice!  I will have one very soon just like it!

buy a junk saw for a buck at an auction... Av snips

clean up with a file and sharpen and  voila! I have lots of card scrapers to say the least.

Made the handle to fit the $1.99 paint scraper blade.  Nice for wood on self bows.

now for footed risers

what it makes

Check out my lam grinder on another thread too.

pennsyltuckey
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Thanks Pete.Ive got a whole $26.00 in my vice.You know I was laying in bed last night thinking I have a couple of old hand saws,I wonder if i could cut them down and make cabinet scrapers.Well you answered that question!Thanks for the idea of the snips.I wasent sure if they would cut a saw blade or not.I was going to use the plasma cutter.Snips will be easier for me to keep em square.

Offline Teagus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Pete,
 I have been wondering what the term "footed riser" refered to. My brain is on overload since I started hangin here in December. Wish I could increase my ram. Can I ask what the two radius (from pivot to blade)in rough inches are for those two cuts? approx?

Thanks for the lessons,
Mike W.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
That's awesome pete!

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by scottm:
My Stave vice.  
Hey Scott, not to sound totally dumb (when it comes to bowyerism, I totally am still) but what would I use a stave vice for? Laminating?

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Not to answer your question for Scott, but this type of vice is used to hold the stave while shaping it with hand tools (i.e. drawknives, rasps, files, scrapers, etc.  It serves the same purpose as a shaving horse, but takes up much less room.  

Nice job, Scott.  Those things go for a pretty penny over at 3 Rivers, don't they?
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Scott,

Don't limit yourself to square or rectangle scrapers.  you can make them curved too.  Convex/concave, long and short.  Also something a lot of people don't realize is that the height of the scraper changes the way the tool works the wood. Also make sure that you radius all of the sharp corners.
 Good luck

teagus

as far as the radius.  on of them is two size 9 kids walking shoes, the other is the length of a babys bottle plus the width of a Lego brick~!    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    

My point is the radius is whatever you want them to be.  I took  my riser block  and drew a rough pair of radius's on it. I then set the riser block on the floor.  Next step was to take a piece of string with a pencil tied to one end.  I stretched the string away from the block and started moving the end with a pencil in an arc until it closely matched the arc I had drawn on the block.  When I was happy with the match I measured the length of the string from the pencil to the center point of the arc.  VOILA!  Spin the riser block around and repeat the process for the other arc.  

By the way the actual measurements for the block that I showed in the pic are
17" for the large and 6" for the small.

pete

Offline Teagus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks Pete,
 I was just fast-tracking what approx. size plywood I will need to build one. Need to think this out as I am also installing a Kreg adjustable fence on 20" band saw for resawing. Also need to look up the blade width for those radius and see if I have any sharp ones left. I will work out my various rads on my autocad model of my riser.

Mike W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
"AHHHHH" Said the blind bowyer as he picked up his hammer and saw!

pennsyltuckey

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
the problem with a stave vice is mounting it?? any suggestions??

I have a hand sander that I made and use on my selfbows. I took a 2x4 cut it 6inches long.drilled a hole through it, then took my bandsaw and cut the 2x4 about an inch to 1 1/2 from the ends and about 3/4 inch deep then I put a carriage bolt through the block from the bottom.
i took the top piece and used a spade bit and made the hole bigger, so as to accomandate a wing nut. then I glued cork on the bottom over the head of the carriage bolt.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks 4est.They are rather pricy.I had everything in the shop except the 8"c-clamp and the tubing for the mount to build one.If you had to buy everthing it would cost a little more than I had in mine.I built it out of high grade plate steel that I had left from another project.The tubing is a heavy wall industrial conduit.Not easy to come by(Ive got a friend who had a scrap in his shop).Galvanized or black iron pipe are not sized properly for a good fit inside one another.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©