Author Topic: i got some osage  (Read 537 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
i got some osage
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
what is the biggest osage tree that yall have ever seen.  i got a huge one on my father in laws land.  could i use a big limb to make a bow or do i need to try and find a smaller tree
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: i got some osage
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
In my humble opinion, THE BIGGER THE BETTER. BUT! I have made some very sweet bows from small dia stuff(4"-5").
I would use what is made available to you. Good luck.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
wheni say big i mean like 20+ inches diameter
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
would that be too big?

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
I like the big ones too..but its alot of work. I cut a monster Nov 2008, I am estimating it to be around 20" as my 18" saw could not cut through the log from one side...I think I got 14 staves(maybe 2-4 were belly splits) from half of it...but only 1-3 staves from the other half as it was rotted, twisted and a total mess.

Maybe you can take a limb for now and save some for later?

Offline mike mcguire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
the wood in the really big one usually not real good,,several on the farm I cut that are around 50in   20 in tree just right size,, but size really dont matter, early wood to late wood ratio only thing that matters,,
if you can shoot over them, they ain't to far

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I saw one that was everybit of three foot around here in mo. I don't think there is a single bow in it. I have also seen a few that have made great bows.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
I think 8" to 10" is a good size to work with . The big guys are way too much work for the return. I have made very good hunting weight bows with 2" diameter osage saplings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
Here is about the biggest  straight  one that I have seen on my place.  It grew next to a small stream so hopefully it has nice rings.  I plan on tackling it this spring.  That is my 10 year old son standing on it.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
That is a nice looking tree srub-buster.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I drive by one near an abandoned house that is every bit of 5 feet in diameter, possible 6 feet. We have a bunch of monster osage trees around here, the biggest are old growth trees lining the city streets in an antebellum section of Tuscumbia Al, which is close to where I live.

I won't cut a huge tree, too much work and the possiblity of questionable staves.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
I have cut some really big trees and mostly regretted anything over 14".  But, to answer your question, yes it is just as possible that you have bow wood in a big tree as you do in a smaller one.  In general, the likelihood is less than 50:50 in the best stand of osage.

I have made bows from big branches.  It works OK but there are usually some reaction wood issues to deal with.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mike mcguire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I am getting ready to cut a 4 ft one, I hope to get some staves out of it if not I am going to saw slabs for tables,,all of the limbs I have tried off really big trees had very bad earlywood / latewood raito,
if you can shoot over them, they ain't to far

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
I getting to old to tackle those big trees.I also like the 8" to a foot tops.I don't have a problem makeing limb bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©