Author Topic: where to get epe?  (Read 278 times)

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
where to get epe?
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
looking for some epe, need a supplier none around here, maybe one of the sponsers on here can help me out. going to build a boo backed epe for a freind's son for his birthday,thank's

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: where to get epe?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »

Offline pappysc2001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Check with your local lumberyard. If they dont carry IPE they can probably order it for you(mine did). It is also popular for outdoor decking, so you can call deck contractors and see if they have any left over from a project(got some that way too.) As for the irritation factor. It is very real. Luckily for me not so bad. I do have a reaction to the splinters. The combination of Bamboo backing and Ipe is a good one.
Good Luck.  :)

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
www.ipedepot.com

There are lots of recent threads about how sensitive some people are to ipe, I must be fairly lucky because I've not had a similar experience.  The dust would make my nose run a very little amount but that was about as far as it went for me.  Using a scraper is about the worst thing that I've found that you can do, it was worse than sandpaper.  That being written it is probably only a short while before I'd become more sensitive to ipe.  I used when making wood backed bows but I haven't made one of those bows in a while so I haven't used it in some time.  Regardless, it is probably best to wear longsleeves and cover your face when using the tropical woods, a respirator would be better.

Scott

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
I get my Ipe from my local lumber yard. Thet sell it for decks.So far I havn't had any reactions from working it. I work with alot of exotic woods so I use plenty of ventilation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©