Author Topic: 52" recurve / Finished pictures  (Read 1580 times)

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 52" recurve / Finished pictures
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Looking great Andy!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
The camo looks even better under glass,not as startling white!! JMO

Great job Andy!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Looks really good Andy as Kenny said the white looks better darker.  

Shawn

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm glad you like it. There are quite a lot of 'never done that before and hopefully it works out right...' in that bow, so I'm very pleased with the result so far.

@Moen: Yes, the glass is from Bodnik. We can order it at our local archery store for a very reasonable price.

The red elm is shining a little through the camo fabric. That makes the white less shiny. I like it much better that way to.

BTW the red elm lams are very nice to. On the belly I didn't want to put a camo because I was thinking it might distract to much while shooting. So I left it just that way...

Hope I can string her up in the next days and work on the tips and the riser.

----------
Andy

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Andy, I really like the look of that bow!  Did you saturate the camo material with glue?  What glue did you use?  Did you cook it or let it set up at room temp?  

What was your rubber band naterial?  Am very curious on this question since I have not had great luck with rubber bands.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
Hi monterey, first i applied the epoxy to the glass then I laid the camo strip on top of it. Then I applied more epoxy until the camo strip was completely soaked with the glue. After that I put some epoxy on the lam and put the lam on top of the camo strip. When I put the rubber bands on the bow a lot of epoxy squiced out, so I'm positiv that there was enough epoxy.

I used standard epoxy type L to glue it up and I let it cure at room temp but I put an additional oven in the room to make sure the temp was higher than normal.

I use bike tubes to clamp the bow in the form. I can get them for free at our local bike store and cut them in half lenghtwise. This method has worked well for me so far, but the radius of the fades need to be nice and even to get perfect glue lines.

----------
Andy

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
It's awfully freezing right now but I still managed to do some work on the bow. I filed the string grooves ( thanks a lot Brad for your info on how to do them, worked out nicely... ) and strung her up for the first time.

It draws 45@28 and I think after all the sanding done it will be around 40. That would just be perfect.

This weekend I will for sure shoot some arrows to see how she performs and then I will glue the tips and the overlays.

----------
Andy

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Man that is really looking great Andy!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swissbow:

I used standard epoxy type L to glue it up and I let it cure at room temp but I put an additional oven in the room to make sure the temp was higher than normal.

I use bike tubes to clamp the bow in the form. I can get them for free at our local bike store and cut them in half lenghtwise. This method has worked well for me so far, but the radius of the fades need to be nice and even to get perfect glue lines.

----------
Andy
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm not familiar with "L" type glue  :confused:    Can you explain further.

On the bike tubes, is it that you cut to very long bands from each by cutting around the circuference??
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Great looking bow, Nuge fan here as well.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  Great job on the walk through as you built it as well.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Standard epoxy type L is a two component epoxy that is mainly used in construction of boats and glider planes. It's produced by the german company R&G. The good thing about it is it cures very well at room temperature and I have a distributer very close. But I guess you can use any similar epoxy that is used like mentioned above. Here you can find a data sheet of one of their products so you get an idea about it...

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:HT0Qfh36dakJ:shop.r-g.de/out/media/td_en_103100.pdf+data+sheet+epoxy+type+l&hl=de&gl=ch&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgKhpR6-17uZhefKbpXWvKcVvHmVK_yo AOVu3TaHM4qM9PmhutuoqTVrhX380wCEsrb1NY8iZwKhrJ7sHJpigtDLomJlLgklLxrPk71DUKFAPCDyC5wBbYtnyk7TnT5MdFwucAJ&sig=AHIEtbQLF4XBFEpWz-StWBBJx5YkJ3YsRg

Yes, cut them and tie little loops at the ends, so you can attach them at the pegs of the form.

----------
Andy

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Ok guys, I did some more work on the bow today. I did shape the tips...

They still need some more sanding, but I think I'm on the right track. Then I started to work on the riser...

Same here, still a lot of sanding to be done...

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Lookin great Andy!!  :clapper:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Great looking bow! Hope to try making one of those in a few months. Will definitely, look up this thread when I start.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Made the tips a bit narrower. Since the recurves are static due to the tip wedges, the draw weight stay the same. Then I continued     working on the grip. File and sanding the finger grooves...

Perfect fit...

----------
Andy

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Thats gonna be SWEET with finish Andy!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Looking great Andy..have you taken any shots with it yet?

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Hi Brad,
I shoot a couple arrow the other day, but since the tips were quite wide the performance was not that great. I was a bit afraid the recurves might twist, so I left them wide to make sure to be on the safe side. Now that nothing of that happened I started to narrow them down. Tomorrow I will shoot her to check the performance and the feel of the bow.

----------
Andy

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Worked on the riser again today. Added a thumbrest...

Whiped the riser with a wet towel to show the colors...

----------
Andy

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Got myself a decent string for the bow and shoot a few arrows. She's nice to shoot and the arrows are sent down with a good speed. The arrows go where I want them and the groups are good.

Apparently they are very close...

After sanding and polishing I started with applying the first two coats of finish. A few more coats to go, hope I can finish her this weekend. All in all I'm very happy with the results, since this is my first ever recurve. :-)

----------
Andy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©