Author Topic: TG bow trade  (Read 11750 times)

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG bow trade
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
OK here is few pics of my trade bow (that is if things hold together and make it)...

Here is one limb on the form ( the other limb had natual reflex that pretty much matched my form

Here it is right off the form with just under 3" of reflex (Thanks Pat for the alum. foil trick I hadn't thought about doing that and it seemed to work well along with the Brad Merkel trick of using grape seed oil)

This is the back of the bow before heating and getting tips to line up

Sorry should have rotated that last pic.

It will probably be a week or so before working on it any more. Will be hanging out at OJAM for a few days so we will see how it goes.
Looking forward to seeing everone again and meeting some new folks also.

David

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
I will have mine at ojam as well dave. They both look similar too.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Hey David your right they do look alot alike. Maybe we can meet up at ojam I sure would like to get a close up look of your bow.

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Got started! Down to one ring, slightly snakey on upper limb, and 1" of natural relex.

Doesn't have anything to do with the bow build, but I had to take a break so my brother and I went looking for sheds. A little upset about finding the big set with the skull attached.

I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
Tony, will you post pics. If your belly slat is 11/16" thick you should be good. You could also add a power lam under the boo at the handle to be sure it doesn't bend or saw your riser block into thin slats of graduating lengths. If the handle area bends a little this type of riser will give a little without popping off.
  All these osage bow staves are getting me excited. The more character the better as far as I'm concerned.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Pat, I glued the handle on with TB III. Not crazy about the glue line so I may take it off and laminate some pieces of mixed species on for improved strength and looks. Does TB III give with heat? and what size shape would you do for a power lam under the bamboo. Will get some pictures done and added soon.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
TBIII glue will release at 150deg(F). Heat up the riser and use a chisel to pry it up after it is hot enough.
  I have never used a power lam so someone else will have to help you with that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Razorback,

You Might want to check out a few of Nick's (dutchwarbow) builds. He does alot of the laminate bows.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Got my trade bow to full draw. The stave had a pretty bad twist right in the handle area. To be honest it was a little beyond my experience. I have another one that is roughed out that was a lot straighter. I may finish it and send it out instead of this one. Here's a pic. Deffinitely nothing to be showing off. It appears to have a hinge started in the top limb near the fade. This seems to be an optical illusion as it doesn't look that way from the other side.

Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
This thread brings back some really good memories. Thanks for sharing folks!! I'm impressed with what I've seen here.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
kodiakkid,  I'd say you did a fine job with a challenging piece.  You might try to get the midlimbs bending a tad more.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Doesn't look bad at all to me kodiakid! I thought I saw what John saw and he confirmed it. What poundage is it pulling?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Put my trade bow in the mail today. If you get this bow I hope you like it.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Thought we were to wait until July 4th to ship? Maybe that was the deadline?
Is it coming to Ohio?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. It's pulling 52 lbs. right now. I was shootin for 50-55 lbs. I may work on the mid limbs a bit and then shorten it a couple inches to stay close in poundage. Paul
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Sorry but it's not for you Joe. Kris said we can ship anytime, tha dead line is July 4th.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
well, I said I was going to wait until ojam, but I just can't. I have it pulling sixty pounds on the  tree with with the boots. I am switching to the short string now and will continue toadjust the tiller and slowly bring up the draw and lower the weight. I decided not to put this one on the caul because it had some natural reflex and honestly, it has been awhile since I didn't have to heat one so I didn't.  It seems to be coming along ok. I might have a slight hinge right out of the lower limb past the fade, but it is still early.

longbowhunter, I  will just look for the guy with my stave and I will know it is  you. See you  in a few days.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I think it's time for a short string.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
yeah, I'm at sixty 60@10 so it is time. I will start with a five in brace height and just excersise the heck  out of it and  take it  slow. I have until July. :-)

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Yestertady made up the pieces for riser, tapered the lamination  thined and cut out the Bamboo , and made up the power strip.Just finished glueing everthing up. Tommorrow I will work on riser.

"Never to old to learn something new"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©