Author Topic: TG bow trade  (Read 11734 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG bow trade
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Added a couple more pics. I put it on the form and induced a little more reflex to it.

After that I applied some TB 111 to the back and let it set over night. Then applied raw hide backing.

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Not a whole lot to show right now, just a chunk of Brazilian Cherry, some maple accents and a bunch of ideas. Eventually, this will be a 3-piece take-down longbow with cherry limbs under clear glass.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Stickbowcrafter, that looks like a bow any of us would be very happy to get.
I just recieved an Osage slat/board as part of a trade and am making plans to turn it into something purdy for this shindig. Will post its dimentions and solicite advice for design, maybe in its own thread.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I was gonna do my swap bow from whiteoak. As it turned out when I took the staves down from the barn rafters they were infested with beetles. Using an osage stave instead. Osage is always an excellant second choice. Got a little crook and twist in it but I think I can heat em out. Here's a couple pics of my progress so far.

Working down to a ring

Almost down to the back ring

Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Looks like this one will make the weight I was going for- now to get more done on it.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Wow...some great work guys...The gentlemen receiving these bows are going to be lucky!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Here are a few more shots of the stave I'm working on. I'm down to heartwood for the back but will probably go at least one more ring before I'm done. I have reduced the length to 66"t/t but will probably go down to 64"t/t. After that I marked the center of the stave, tip to tip, and from there went out 2" each side for the handle and another 1 1/2" for each fade. This will be a symmetrical bow. From there I mark every 6" from the center out each limb. With these marks I'll set up the limb widths.
  To mark the center line down the stave I did some manipulation to Eric's gizmo. I'll do another thread about this manipulation and tell how it works.
  Here are a few pics of the stave and where I am now...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
You have some nice rings on that one. Watching and learning
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I laid out my bow yesterday. I don't  use any do it quit like pat but the results are the same I guess. I try to pick out a vertical line of grain and then follow it down the ceenter of the piece. I can be pretty acurate this way. It definitely comes in handy  when doing a sharp snake like this one. This pic is of the top limb.[IMG]
 the bow will be 64ntn with a four inch handle and 1½in fades with working limbs that are 28½in long. I'm going to  start with the limbs @ 1½in wide and tapering  to 1¼ for the    first 12in then taper the last 16in from 1¼ down to about ½in or slightly less.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I have the stave reduced to the initial width. Even though I use a straight edge to make off the width between the 6" marks down the stave I came back and hand drew around any knots that might be close to the edge to give them a bit more meat.

After removing wood along the edges with a rasp, following the new lines around the knots I came back and remover the back ring. I wasn't satisfied with the one before. Even though this stave is probably 10 years old and has been in my basement wood stack I noticed a few checks showing up from the knots when I brought it into the heated house so after I got to the new back ring I sealed the entire back and ends with spray shellac. I usually do this anyway, no matter how old or young a stave. It is just good, cheap insurance.

This is where I stand now. Basic shape and width, basic length and the back is sealed and the stave is ready to have the belly reduced to the floor tiller stage. I will keep the handle area and tips wide in case I need to make adjustments to get the string to track properly down the bow.
   Once I get this stave to floor tiller I will begin with the straightening, reflexing and possible tempering of the stave.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
nice pictures pat. Looks like you are glad to be back in the bow shop!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I am very glad to be back in y shop. I forgot how much I missed working on bows...and it's all coming back to me! d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Glad to see you back at it Pat.  Hopefully I will be able to soon also.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Cut some antler today for the tips and arrow pass and started tillering. Got it to 20" with a brace height of 4" left is 1 1/2" longer

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Looks like it needs to be bending a lot more near the handle.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Made a little more progress. Got it laid out and started reducing it down to rough size. Gonna be 64 t/t. Laid it out with a 4" handle and 1 1/2 fades 1 1/2" each side the handle. It's gonna taper to 1 3/8" to mid limb and then down to a little more than 1/2" (for now) at the tip. Gotta work arond a small knot on one limb but hopefully that won't be a problem. I left a little extra around the knot. Here's a few pics

the layout

Bringing it down to rough size

Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Thanks razorback, it is only at 20 in"s that's what I will be working on.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
boy oh boy! love them osage staves.
 Looking great fella's.

I'm gonna work on mine a little this weekend.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Looking great fellas!I cant wait to get started my self!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©