Author Topic: Bow form ?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow form ?
« on: February 24, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
I am building a form for a laminated recurve and was wondering what you guys use to cover the plywood? I have the form cut and used contact cement to put a piece of hard maple on. Binghams suggest using a formica strip. Do I really need this or can I just cover what I have with plastic wrap upon glue up.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow form ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Any smooth surface to glue on the top will work.  Formica or a strip of glass works great, but so does a hardwood lamination. I usually use a .100 thick strip of hickory on mine.    Then as you said, cover everything with plastic wrap prior to the glue up to keep the epoxy off it.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
I use black fiberglass on mine. I use turtlewax carwax on glass strip top of form,metal hold downs and pressure strip. I used saran wrap on the first couple of builds but found that the cheap thin plastic 2 mils thick painting drop cloths  cut into 12 inch wide strips works best for me..its non clinging, I just lay it over the form,pull tight,then tape it to form. After taping down the lams and pressure strip I will put a layer of plastic down and I also wrap the air hose with it, no tape. The wax is in case the plastic tears and glue gets on glass or form. I am open to any suggestions, I use teflon spray on my side washers, it dries and works well so far..

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I dont use anything. I sand it well and wax it. I have had to fill small holes in the edge with putty.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
On my longbow form I use a strip of cherrywood and it works just perfect. On the recurve form that I built just a week ago I use a glass strip. I hope I can glue up the bow next weekend to see how this one works. But I'm convinced that it will work at least as well as the other form. And of course plastic wrap to keep the excess epoxy off the form AND the table. During the glue up of the last bow some epoxy got on the table and I had quite a fight to separate the form from the table.

----------
Andy

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
I like the formica. I also wax the form with floor wax before each glue up. . Better safe than sorry.

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks for your input. I am just a little concerned about the sharp hook on the limb tips and getting the formica or glass to follow the shape of the form. I have seen where guys will use little screws to pull the formica to the form in the bend area.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I got my start last year with the Binghams plans so like the plan said..I just use 3M spray glue  and spray the top of form and sanded side of fiberglass, let it sit for a minute to get tacky, then start on one end and push the glass down onto the form, I use straping tape in the hook area just to make sure it don't lift. Haven't had a problem yet.

Swissbow,I always get glue everywhere..to control glue mess I cover my bench top with "contractors paper" I buy it in a 24" wide roll. A roll will cover my 16' of bench top more than 6 times and it costs me about $8 per roll. I tape down a 18inch x 6 ft piece of waxed butchers paper(meat wrapping paper) on top of the bench and glue the laminations on it,after the glue up I throw away the butcher paper and still have the contractors paper on the bench for the next build, if I get a lot of glue on it I just throw it away..I know KennyM gets his form top so smooth he dosent use any formica or glass. For the first form I bought the Binghams kit and they sent me .050 fiberglass it made the form top so smooth, so thats why I still use it, that and I have sanding issues...

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
I put two countersunk screws at both ends of the glass strip to make sure it doesn't come off.

----------
Andy

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
You can use a heat gun to get the formica to bend. Used one many times building counters with a tight radius. If you coat the strip and form with contact cement let dry and add second coat (not thick coats) let dry then apply to form with heat (do not burn, take your time, keep moving heat along strip) it will bend easier and stick well.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Sorry, forgot to add this to last post. If formica cracks, burns, chips- you can remove from form by heating with heat gun slowly and work with a putty knife.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Great ideas. I was getting in a hurry for glue up and didn't want to wait for shipment from binghams. I will wait for the formica and try to be more patient. Great idea on the heat gun because I used a torch and tried to save the old ones and the formica blistered in a few spots.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
last year when I ordered the recurve form kit, Bighams sent me a piece of fiberglass instead of the formica, don't sweat it, the glass will bend nicely. The spray glue and strap tape held the glass in place,use gloves because the glass will have some small micro splinters on the edges... I used 3M brand spray glue 90 and it's still holding up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©