Author Topic: Who makes their own wegdes and how.  (Read 432 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Who makes their own wegdes and how.
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
I was wondering how difficult it is to make your own wedges getting them consistant. I was told the are not easy. These are for a takedown longbow. 8 1/2L x 1 1/2W Anyone got any advice on this.
Thanks
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who makes their own wegdes and how.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I make my own. I made a little sled for them.  First I run my stock through to get it surfaced on both sides, then tape them in the sled and run them through a dozen or so times to get them ground to paper thin fades.  Works well.  

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I square up a block and then cut them out on the bandsaw, which leaves one "clean" side.  I have a jig that is nothing more then a block (from laminated plywood) cut on my desired taper with a stop block on the end that is shorter then the wedge.   I then run this through my dimensional drum sander.  The wedge comes out nice and square, feathered, and ready to glue up.  Before I had the demensional drum sander I used a drum sander for the drill press that has the bearing guide on the bottom.  Made a similar jig only oriented on it's side.  The drum just has to be large enough that you have a square face over the surface of the wedge.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Is there a shelf where the limb pad goes over that is flat then tapers on the top side of the limb?
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
That is how mine generally are T Folts.  But sometimes I take the wedges off that grinding jig and over to the spindle sander to try to even out that transisition from the flat spot on top to the angle to make it more unnoticeable.

Offline Kanga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
I just use the belt sander, just make sure you have a backing block.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©