3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 blades and blood trails?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
2 blades and blood trails?
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
i have this fear of using a two bladed head due to the fact i was told, when i was shooting compounds, that it is possible for a slit would to close and therefore, not leave a trail. Is this true?  there are so many sweet looking two bladers on the market that i want to try but i am afraid i will lose a deer do to the fact that it wont bleed.  is this a stupid myth or is there some truth?  also, i remenber some talk about a new silver flame two blade head that had a really wide cutting path. what are the specs of this head and where can i get them? thanks for any help!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 blades and blood trails?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
No worries on shooting 2 blade heads.  They penetrate, cut good holes and fly great when tuned properly.  Just put them tight to the shoulder and follow the red path to your animal.
They are really the only way (in my opinion) to go on bigger/tougher animals.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Deermaster 1, do a search here for Treeshark wound/bloodtrail pictures. May change your mind  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
IMO
I think much of the fear is atleast for compound shoters who have the need for speed have been shootIng broadheads that are so small and light the deer probably feels as much pain as when you give blood. 75, 85 or 100 gr.
Not that there bad, but mosT I know who shoot trad use a much larger heavier blade thAt is most likely felt and I doubt with most NA game would close up.

Here's a steel force 140 glue-on
The hellfire 150 gr two baldes with two bleeders are awesome screw-in blades. Both cut on impact. No need to sharpen.

Many great 2 blades many by many different companies. Everyone has their personal choice.
Some like Trans Am others a Camaro.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
My last buck went 30 yards after being hit with a sharp two blade.  There was ample evidence of his departure via blood trail.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I shoot mainly two blades but I also use a 4 blade Bear razor head on a ocassion as well. The only thing I can say is if your shot hits back in the gut area and your shooting out of a tree stand the chance of the exit hole cloging up might be a little quicker with a two balde.

However I have seen huge holes made by big 3 blade broad heads clog up when you hit them to much in the stomach area just as quickly. Since it is not my goal or intension to gut shoot animals I don't prepare to miss, I prepare to hit what I am aiming for and I think the two blade gives me a little better chance of doing that.  I know the 200 grain Ace two blades leave a big hole.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
If you hit them in the boiler room they will bleed just fine and die as quickly.  A high hit with a multiblade doesn't bleed any better than a 2 blade, the cavity has to fill first.  If you get a marginal hit with a 2 blade the animal is more likely to recover.  A very responsible choice in my opinion.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
I have never hade a problem. I switched 5 years ago and have used 3 different 2 blade heads to kill 12 whitetails. If they are kept razor sharp(or sharper)They will do the job, ya still got to hit them in the good stuff.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Blood trails and game recovery are much more heavilly influenced by shot placement and the level of sharpness of the broadhead, than by the broadhead's size or blade count.

A razor sharp 2 blade will always leave a better bloodtrail than a dull multi-blade head, just as a razor sharp multi-blade will leave a better blood trail than a dull two blade.

Shot placement kills the animal, sharp broadheads make game recovery much easier.

Shot placement is the most critical factor. You can kill a deer with a well placed target point but, good luck finding him. Well placed, razor sharp broadheads will always leave good blood trails but, the sharpest broadhead in the world won't make up for poor shot placement.

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
It would stand to reason that a 3" hole is going to let more liquid flow  than a 2". If penetration was not an issue, I would have to say that the multi head would leave a better blood trail.
  But seeing that penetration is always a concern with me I opt for the double bladed knowing that an exit hole from a tree stand is always desirable.

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Bowdude is exactly right about the high hit. But, if you hit right behind the shoulder and at the right height then you'll get plenty of blood to follow.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sharpster:
Blood trails and game recovery are much more heavilly influenced by shot placement and the level of sharpness of the broadhead, than by the broadhead's size or blade count.

AND

Shot placement kills the animal, sharp broadheads make game recovery much easier.

-Ron
Excellent post Ron!   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
I would love to use two blade heads but in all the years I  have hunted I have always been disappointed with the bloodtrails I get with two blade heads. I wish it was otherwise.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
To paraphrase a line from the movie "Urban Cowboy"... "depends on what you think a real blood trail is."

Seriously. There are too many factors involved to say which one leaves the best blood trail in every situation.

Can you lose a deer because of a poor blood trail from a two bladed broadhead.... absolutely!

Can you lose a deer because of a poor blood trail from a multiblade.... absolutely.

Best thing to do is get some of your most adored two blade and give it a shot.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
If you get a marginal hit with a 2 blade the animal is more likely to recover. A very responsible choice in my opinion.

Man, I've got to disagree with both of those statements.
The one can't be proved.

As far as the second one is concerned, I believe that the best choice is the one that's most likely to kill the animal anyway with a marginal hit.
If I was worried about their survival, I'd stay home.

And as Bill Carlsen knows, I'm in full agreement with his statement.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
since I switched to traditional the only negative issue I've personally encountered was the poor results of using 2-blade heads. our deer really put on a good layer of fat and a thick winter coat which (on many occasions) will allow that little slit to close up. a big ol' multi-blade head leaves a big enough hole that the fat and thick coat dosen't come into play.

NOW' this is based on my own personal experiences. I'll not knock what another hunter chooses to shoot. I'm sure they're just as many (maybe even more) hunters using 2-blade heads with good results BUT, I'll never be one of them.

good luck with whichever head you choose.  :thumbsup:

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
My experience:  I shot a doe this (07)that was quartering slightly towards me. I shot her right behind the shoulder with a razor sharp Grizzly. The arrow traveled downward angling back through one lung and exited out of the guts and stuck in the ground. Not the best shot angle but she turned as I released. I started to follow the trail and was only following small drops.  I was worried I made a bad shot but after about hundred yards the blood really started to flow and I found her dead a short distance away.  What happened was the exit wound plugged up with gut material and the blood did not start to flow until the body cavity filled up.  This was my first "bad experience"(if you want to call it that) with a two blade. I have killed severl deer with two blades and had excellent results. Like someone said before shot placement is the key.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
i agree 100% with sswv. here in massachusetts the deer really get fat, and depending on the winter, that can cause a problem. i have only killed 3 deer with 2 blade magnus heads. the first deer dropped within 30 yds, and a could have ran and slid to the deer with all the blood on the ground!!  :eek:  
2nd deer went about 60 yds, and left a respectable amount on the ground.
the 3rd deer i hit perfect left and right, but a bit high. the deer cashed maybe 100 yds away.
i found 1 or 2 tiny specs of blood, but luckily i heard the deer fall. so i just walked to the deer.

what im tryin to say is if ya want to use a 2 blade, go ahead. it all depends on the specific deer, and where ya hit um...  :thumbsup:  

jamie
  :archer:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Much of the blood from a lung hit animal comes from the mouth and nose anyway. Hit one someplace besides that and you missed your target.
lll

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©