3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 blades and blood trails?  (Read 1055 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 blades and blood trails?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
I have had good bloodtrails with 2,3, and 4-blade bhs and little or no bloodtrails at all with 2,3,and 4-blade bhs.  I do seem to get an adaquate bloodtrail IF the arrow (or at least the broadhead) is a passthru in a vital area. I try to shoot the biggest broadhead that I can consistantly get thru the other side.  The folks that are shooting  lower poundage bows and/or from treestands don't have as much "wiggle room" in their bh choices as the higher poundage folks do.  So whats the best bh for you? A wide 2-blade, a narrow 3-blade or maybe a 4-blade with small or breakable bleeders? I Don't know...I'm still trying to answer that one for myself!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Ooops..Sorry 'bout that.  Hit the wrong buttons.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Not true.

Two blades fed your ancestors just fine.  if you decide to stick with a multi-blade, there are some pros here that can point out the cream of the crop.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Heres all I got: this came from a less than desireable hit last fall. On the other hand,I've had super hits that weren't this good of blood.

Regardless of the head type,every shot is different and so is every blood trail.
 I have to agree with  super sharp and good placement along with knowing the quarries anatomy.

Lets go huntin!!   :bigsmyl:

Oops,Zwickey 2 blade Delta.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
I have always been told that my file sharpened single chamfer two blade heads will pull hair and the hole will close up.  Never happened, they don't pull hair through and that jagged hole is usually bigger than the broadhead.  i have found a four blade head that was still razor sharp on a 2419 arrow.  it had a puff ball of dry hair and under that was a a razor sharp broadhead completely covered in bloody hair.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
I've never seen a need for 2 blades on deer out of the bows I shoot.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
I think Kenny summed it up really well: “Regardless of the head type, every shot is different and so is every blood trail.”  
Personally, I use 190 grain grizzly’s and 200 grain trade points with two blades, 145-155grain Eclipse’s with 2 & 4 blades, and Woodsmen’s with 3 blades, out of 55-60# selfbows for deer without much consideration for penetration or blood trails; if the arrow hits where I want it (the result of properly tuned bow, matched arrow, proper form, ect…) good penetration and short blood trails are the result.  My use of four different types of blades is to get different arrows to fly correctly out of a specific bow (I like to make bows, not arrows.).  On larger animals, like bison, I opt for the two bladed Grizzly or trade point for deeper penetration.  Usually, I have at least two types of broadheads in my quiver that hit fairly close to the same spot within in my effective range.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
The blood trail is going to come from a hole in the bag all things being equal. The multi bladed with more cutting surface would have to leave a bigger hole for more liquid to spill.
  Things are never equal when it comes to broadheads or hunting.

Offline jimbob91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Back in 80's when I was shooting a compound I shot 145g snuffers on 2219XX75s which was a pretty lethal combination even on marginal hits the damage that head caused was tremendous.When I started shooting trad I had a bad experience with a quartering away buck that didnt get a pass thru and that same year I shot down on a buck that didnt get a pass thru(this deer was killed a wk later by my bro-inlaw still carrying the arrow).That made me switch to the magnus.Im not making excuses as both these shots were less than desirable,I just think that out of my 60#longbow I get better penetration with a 2blade bh,and I agree you can killem with a field tip if you getem in the goodies.
Live your life today like your going to meet God tommorrow!You just might!****GO VIKES****

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
To me it is simple..the largest blade with the most cut you can push out the other side is always best.For some that will be multi-blade heads.For others or in cases where contacting a lot of bone is likely that will be the two blade.Regaudless of your choice two holes will always leak better than one.  :)  I shoot lighter bow weights so my choice is the larger two blades.I get two holes and lots of blood.If I shot higher weight bows like some do I would be shooting the biggest 3 or 4 blade I could.The bloodtrail in most cases is very dependant on the hit.Hit them right with the smallest head and you will have a trail to follow.Hit them wrong and bigger is generally better.As far as a deer recovering after a hit better from one to the other goes..to be honest I really don't care.I am there trying my best to kill them anyway.Learn to shoot well and follow up when they are hit and you won't loose many. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Like what everyone else says, shot placement is the key.  The only experience I have had is with 2 blade stingers.  Its not a big head, I have shot 5 deer with them and I was not very impressed with the blood trails, and all 5 were lung hits.  I now shoot 4 blade stingers, but I would not hesitate to shoot a 2 blade, I just wish magnus made wound about 1.5 inches wide.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Charlie with statements like that it makes me think there might be some old pods laying in your drawers some where.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
I agree with Charlie, and think the pod comment was out of line.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
I just wish magnus made wound about 1.5 inches wide.
They do. From their website:

Magnus 2-blade #MA160
2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches
160 grains - 11/32" ferrule

Magnus 2-blade #MA135
2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches
135 grains - 11/32" ferrule

Magnus 4-blade #MA150
2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches
150 grains - 11/32" ferrule

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
I must say that I have had problems with blood trails from 2 bladed heads even with double lunged deer (not that recovery was a problem). But I have also had penetration problems through bone with multiblade heads. But I think that I'm going to try some single beveled 2 bladed heads this year. The spinning motion which has been shown through tissue and bone intrigues me.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowdude:
Charlie with statements like that it makes me think there might be some old pods laying in your drawers some where.
Oooooof....you need to add a couple a smileys or something to that statement, cause I'm sure it's some kind of joke.

As far as broadheads: I like 2 blades, I like 2 blades with bleeders, I like 3 blades...I hunt with all of them. There are probably 50 great broadheads on today's trad market that will all perform wonderfully in anything but the most extreme scenario.

I used to be a die hard proponent of 2 blades only...and still prefer them in some situations, but now that I can get a woodsman as sharp or sharper than my preferred 2 blade models, I often find myself reaching for an arrow with it on the business end. I also find myself asking myself more and more frequently, "If you've got the horsepower, why not use it to push more blades?" Same with 2 blades + bleeders....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
I have used 2 bladed and 4 blade heads (zwickeys and grizzlys) with good results.  When results in penetration or blood trail was less than optimal, I can't really blame that on the head being used.  When you make bad hits, recovery will be more difficult, and it ussually is not going to matter whether you are using a 2 blade or multiple blade head.  Achieve accuracy and your results will be optimized if you are using any good quality sharp braodhead.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline jimbob91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Ah,I think you pretty much summed it up right there Blaine.I have a question on magnus 2bladesw/bleeders JC do they fly pretty well?What about noise?I remember when I shot snuffers they whistled.
Live your life today like your going to meet God tommorrow!You just might!****GO VIKES****

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
If you hit them in the boiler room they will bleed just fine and die as quickly. A high hit with a multiblade doesn't bleed any better than a 2 blade, the cavity has to fill first. If you get a marginal hit with a 2 blade the animal is more likely to recover. A very responsible choice in my opinion.

Perhaps I came off a little harsh in my statements, but it was only in the retoric used and not the content that needs changing.

In my own personal experience (so as not to lump everyone else in with my statements) I agree that a two blade or multiblade put through the lungs will kill equally quickly.

A "high hit" can and often DOES bleed better from a multiblade than a two blade. The cavity does NOT have to fill up with blood before there is external "spillage".
The chest cavity is a pressurized chamber and any loose blood can be expelled from pressure alone if the hole is big enough to allow it.... I've seen it many times.

And I stand by my statement alluding to my preference of a broadhead that stands the best chance for killing the animal if the worst happens and not chosing a broadhead because it offers the animal the best chance of survival.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

No doubt animals survive horrific wounds from guns and broadheads as well as what the natural world deals up to them.

The number of blades a broahead has has little if any bearing on that.

I apologize if I offended you by my remarks previously. They were not intended personally.

In conclusion, don't worry about what I've got in my drawers I know what's there. Be more concerned with what you've got in yours.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©