Author Topic: bow building list please  (Read 543 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
bow building list please
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
i am converting my garage to my man cave and want to start building some bows.i really would like to compile a list of every tool needed to build a bow from scratch.need info on wood suppliers and what glues etc,etc.this may get moved to another forum i suspect.i think i brought this up before but now i'm serious.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow building list please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
You might want to post this in the bowyers bench and let the guys over there know what kind of bows your gonna build EX wood, Selfbows, Glass Etc.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
want to start with one piece longbows
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »
drawknife, rasp,  chainsaw file  & scraper.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
the list osagetree gave will be a bit different if you are going to build laminated glass longbows.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by PAPA BEAR:
want to start with one piece longbows
Truthfully, after getting into this myself, I think the biggest and most important tool you can use is a band saw. Other than that my list would include a good coping saw with a 4tpi blade, a 4 in 1 file/rasp, LOTS of sand paper and the means to use it (sander, blocks, rods, etc)ranging from 60 grit all the way up 320. I also like to use a larger rasp too. I don't have a band saw so I use a jig saw for what I can.

You'll definitely wanna get your hands on a decent sized bottle of Tite Bond III. Some other glues will be mentioned but this is easy to find.

Then you'll get yourself into tillering sticks or stands or whatever, and you'll need a way to check your draw weight. I like to use a 50lb rapala digital scale. I think it was like $20 at Bass Pro or gander.

You'll also need patience, and some beer.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
A good table and vice. One of those table top sanders like 4 x 36 helps a lot and they're cheap. It depends on how primitive you want to be, how fast you want to build them and if you are going to build all wood or glass bows.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I just bought a Stave Press and large rasp from Raptor Archery and I would highly recommend both.  You will get your money back in the beer money you will save.
And yes, a solid table.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
i would like to start out building laminated longbows.mohawk as an example.r/d type.i dont drink alchohol so i'm allready one up on that one.i have found an old bandsaw thats been refurbished that i can buy pretty reasonably.how about wood suppliers? keep it coming guys and thanks.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
i'll also need to build an oven and some sort of spraying booth i guess.oyyyyyyyy

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
stay away from the grizzly tools website...  :)   I have spent way too much money there...they make great bandsaws, spindle sanders, and 6" by 80" belt sanders... my favorite tool...
Bob

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I forgot to mention a VERY important part of your arsenal:

CLAMPS!! And lots of em. If you don't have em already start getting some everytime you go to sears or harbor freight (my recommendation is H.F. clamps are 3-4 bucks ea there) Lots of 3 inchers, 4's, F's, and at least a couple deep set ones too. A vice as mentioned is crucial too.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
you will want a belt sander for sure. i believe that rigid makes one that also has a spindle sander attachment. i don't have one but i've used one, and wished i had one. along with that i use the bandsaw a lot. i also use the table saw especially when getting the wood to the correct dimensions. a table mounted vise is also a good idea. a dremel tool isn't necessary but it nice to have. other than that sand paper in various grits, and a rasp.

good luck, and have fun.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Just for grins... slide by  www.binghamprojects.com  and take a look at their basic plans,  bows, ovens, and presses (the form you may want to use). They are a wealth of info and have helped many here. I like my spindle sander lots. (next to those already mentioned above)

Good Luck

Mike  :thumbsup:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Everytime a list like this comes along it seems the top two are usually the bandsaw and the spindle sander.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Stanley Suroform Rasp, Paint Scraper (the nice one with the removable blade), Block Plane, Wood Saw, a big big bottle of Tightbond II glue, 2 or 3 big 3" or 4" C Clamps.  
lots and lots of sandpaper.

Offline rich w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I went to bingham and am now building my frist recurve.I just used them to start the learning curve. Check out local saw mills.for basic  hardwoods Still looking for glass suppler and a few more.send me a pm will learn together. ps new to this sight still finding my way around

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Thoughts of mine on tools  

Hope that helps. and good luck.

Offline Ricky S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
May I suggest Harbor Freight.I bought my osilating spindle sander, 14" ban saw and my 6"x48" belt sander and lots of claps from them.
Its a true mans store.
 http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/start.do
And get yourself a good cabinet scraper + you need a good draw knife I use mine as a scraper also you can make a great wood scraper out of a 4 bladed paint scraper blade.Here is the one I made and a 6" file that I use more than any file I own.I use it for nocks.

I hope this helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©