Author Topic: Raiser repair? (picts added)  (Read 419 times)

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
Raiser repair? (picts added)
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
Thanks much Rob!
Advice please ! The original crack commenced ¼” in from the plate, 1” in from the rear of the shelf, through the left quarter of the radius shield and extended about 1” down the throat.
Initially strung the bow to accentuate the crack then gouged out a small furrow 1/8 to ¼ deep at the raidiused shelf, placed in a few glass fibres and filled it in with resin and before it dryed, released the string to squeeze it up. Allowed to dry and smoothed it all back and further let it dry 4 days. It turned out surprisingly well.
It was then strung to the correct brace height of 7 ½“. After 20 odd shots a small crack was again noticeable but only through the raidiused shelf, not extending the original length. I checked the brace height again and it had come in nearly 1/4”, wow! I never imagined. Shot a few more times to see if the crack would expand but it remains thus.
I surmise that as the crack has extended no further the initial repair was somewhat correct and I am thinking perhaps I did not gouge deep enough in that shelf section!?
I was going to restring the bow and use a small rasp drill side to gouge out again, just a little deeper and repeat the process as before with some fibers and resin.
I’m hoping some would confirm or suggest otherwise my plan of attack, and whether or not to leave it dry while strung and open or release the string as to compress as before.
I have had a couple of raisers split so. This one is has 65 an 75# Stewart multicam limbs, perhaps it is sectioned action wood!? Am I  expecting too much of the ol gal. Thanks
Cheers

divecon

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Raiser repair? (picts added)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Pictures!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Ahh Pat! Was hoping u'd be about. Sorry No picts even our phones don't have the facility. As the thing is goin no where till I'm sure, I'll see what I can come up with by the end of the week.
Cheers
divecon

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Excuse Pat! I can’t seem to get the pict thing right. My neighbor and I spent 2hrs Fri and again Sat but can’t work out how to post the picts.
We are not the sharpest knives in the draw with technology. URL etc.?
Can I please send them as an e-mail attachment to you and you can advise further or post as u please. May I get an address from u to
[email protected]
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience
divecon

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Is there anyone who might help?
divecon

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
TTT
Suggestions please
divecon

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I am wondering if this crack is opening quite a bit when the bow is strung and drawn?

I am also thinking it might last if 50-55# limbs were used instead of the 65-75# you mention.

It looks like a difficult fix at any rate I would think some of the better epoxies such as smooth on would be required rather than resin and glass fibers.

Hopefully someone like bowdoc may see your post and offer a more experienced suggestion.

Good Luck
Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Ta Mike! yep it opens up but only in that part around/through the edge of the shelf now as opposed to the full length crack. It was a partial fix so there might be only one decent try left so I hope to do it right.Then again it might be leg up.
divecon

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
There is a technique that aircrafts mechanics use on metal, called stop gap drilling, in which a small 1/16" hole is drilled thru the metal at the very tip of the crack to stop the spread or stresses which have caused the crack.

I have not tried that principle with wood, so I dont know whether it would work in your case, however most here would tell you to spread the crack and fill it with super glue the thin variety. Close it up and let it dry. (Maybe two legs up)

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Mike thanks for u’r consideration, I ended up with some sound advice from Whip at the bow hospital who was also forthcoming as u in the matter.
Cheers
divecon

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
I did some Oak board bows and had a few handles pop off so I drilled a 1/8" hole and countersunk both ends, put a bolt with washers in there and laminated contrasting wood over the holes ( I sanded the handle down a bit first ) and reshaped the handles. Some were Oak with Osage under Walnut over the holes, looks nice. They will hold forever.

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Will try loktite 420 in the crack and brass rods in an epoxy core across the grain. If that won't hold then I'll be trying that wildcat, Cheers
divecon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©