Author Topic: Bamboo and Ipe RF/DF Recurve  (Read 319 times)

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo and Ipe RF/DF Recurve
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Here is an experiment I tried. It is bamboo back and belly with 3 laminations of Ipe in the core. It came out about 40# at 28" but will draw to over 30". It's 60" nock to nock. The handle is 1" wide 1 3/16 on each side tpering to 1/2" nocks. The handle is built up with thick leather then wrapped with rattan. Buffalo horn overlays on nocks. It has to much pre bend in the limbs so it's a little slow. Live and learn!!Scott

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo and Ipe RF/DF Recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I dont know much about that type of bow, but it sure looks good. How does it shoot?   Mark

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Hey Marc It shoots ok with light spined arrows

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Outstanding!

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I wouldn't use ipe as a core.  Ipe is one of the heaviest woods in the world.  You'd be much better off using 3 lams of ipe on the belly side and both bamboo lams on the back.  Why did you bend the limbs so far toward you?  You'd be a lot better off using a straight piece with recurves at the ends.  If you are going to use bamboo on the back and belly you also want bamboo in the core.  Anything heavier doesn't do any good.  Anything stronger needs to go on the outside.  Also for the bamboo you want to space the nodes to where the nodes on the belly are halfway between the nodes on the back.

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jesse Peltan:
I wouldn't use ipe as a core.  Ipe is one of the heaviest woods in the world.  You'd be much better off using 3 lams of ipe on the belly side and both bamboo lams on the back.  Why did you bend the limbs so far toward you?  You'd be a lot better off using a straight piece with recurves at the ends.  If you are going to use bamboo on the back and belly you also want bamboo in the core.  Anything heavier doesn't do any good.  Anything stronger needs to go on the outside.  Also for the bamboo you want to space the nodes to where the nodes on the belly are halfway between the nodes on the back.
Sounds like all you want to do is be critical of a guy who built a very nice looking bow. You need to step off your pedastal and give the guy credit.  He built a very nice bow. No need for slamming him. Help not harm is what it is about here.
Brock

Offline PZee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
Hey Scott,

That is a beautiful looking bow! I really love the looks and curves. I also prefer all natural bows at the moment. It's a pity about putting in to much pre bend, this is how we learn though; Me from your mistakes :-) Thanks for posting it!

Peter
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
BMA I'm not slamming him.  I'm giving him advice for his next one.  He pointed out that it was sluggish so I explained why.  If you never share knowledge everyone has to reinvent the wheel.  I thought he'd appreciate not having to reinvent that wheel.  You're doing more harm when you keep all your knowledge to yourself and make people come up with everything by themselves.  I'm sorry if I came across harsh, but I really just wanted to give some key points of advice.
BTW ishi1archer nice job on the tips.  You did a good job shaping them.

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
I take everybodies advice into account. I want to learn from other peoples knowledge and I hope people learn from mistakes. BMA thanks for sticking up for me but I take no offence in what was said. Scott

Life member United Bowhunters of Pa.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©