Author Topic: Laminar Cracks  (Read 374 times)

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Laminar Cracks
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Hey, all.  What are the causes of laminar cracks, specifically in osage?  I've got two staves I've been working on this week and they both exhibit them.  I've tillered one of the bows out at 25#@24" for my wife with no problems, but I don't trust them for anything heavier.  In fact, I may err on the side of safety and not let my wife shoot this one.  

Have any of you used staves with these cracks, and if so, how'd they hold up?  If it helps, I've built three very nice bows from the same tree these two staves were taken.  Those bows didn't exhibit any laminar separations.

I've injected super glue into them and marked where they ended.  So far they've not widened or gone any further.  No pics right now.  Thanks for you help.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Laminar Cracks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
TTT

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Sounds like drying checks. As long as they run with the grain and not off of the bow they are not a problem. I usually add super glue and keep on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I have a very nice bow called DOA for dead on arrival that had some cracks that has fired many shots and is still fine. It pulls 51@26. Like pat said, as long as they go with the grain you are all gravy. I never even put superglue in mine althougj it wouldn't hurt
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Thanks Pat and DVS...I'm talking about cracks that evidence themselves parallel to the growth rings (i.e. parallel with the back or belly of the bow).  Don't have my camera at the moment or I would just take some pictures.  I always seal the staves after cutting, while working, etc.   Just trying to figure out the cause, and if it's something I did to cause or promote it.  Thanks, guys!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
If they run between the growth rings they are probably wind shakes. Sort of a delamination due to the forces of wind on the tree. Depending on how deep they are, they can be lethal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
laminar separation is NOT good.

Offline Ed Isaacs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Those sound like wind shakes to me.  Unfortunately I've had some otherwise nice staves ruined by wind shakes.
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us To see oursels as others see us! It
wad frae mony a blunder free us, And foolish notion."

Robert Burns

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
those are the ones I am talking about. Doa is the name of the bow because everyone told me that it would never make a bow. It shoots great and shows no signs of breaking. I went ahead and finished the bow just because I wanted too.  Make your own judgement on it and keeps your hopes low like I did. I'm not saying that you don't have to worry, I'm just saying that every piece of wood is different and I would make a bow from it. Go slow when tillering and work the limbs until you feel safe, then work them for a bit longer. If you really don't want to try it, send it to me...DOA needs a brother. :-)
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
I just worked down a 2.5 year old osage stave this afternoon.  It was a sizeable quarter split when I pulled it out of th pile and both sides had those laminar seperations.  Good thing was that those were cut out and did not go deep into the stave.  I think because the stave originally was thick the moisture needed another escape route out and that was the cause of those splits.  I've made other bows from this tree in the past and did not have those splits so I don't think it was wind shakes.  JMthoughts.

Offline Ed Isaacs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I've had many staves with laminar type drying splits and also some with the wind shakes.  The difference is that the wind shakes go all the way through the stave and separate like it has been split at the growth ring.  Unless there is enough thickness unaffected you can't make a bow from them.  Some people say don't use them at all as the wood has been weakened too much, but I still use them if there is enough thickness left by the shakes.
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us To see oursels as others see us! It
wad frae mony a blunder free us, And foolish notion."

Robert Burns

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©