Author Topic: Router H.P. ?  (Read 250 times)

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Router H.P. ?
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
How much h.p. router do I need to cut 1 3/4" forms for recurves. I have a 1/2"x2" router bit on its way. Or are they better measured in amps? May also use it on hard exotic woods.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Router H.P. ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I just bought a 2hp Master Force from Menards for the same reason and it was more than enough. Good luck

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Amps are the key in my opinion on measuring handheld routers, however I think just about any router you can find over the counter that accepts a 1/2" bit will work just fine for cutting a form.  The need for a large router become more of an issue if you need it to cut hardwoods using a larger bit (i.e. cabinet faces).  The key to getting a nice clean cut on the form is getting 1/8" or so from the line on the bandsaw first, then the router just cleans it up.  Good luck

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks I am getting a 2 hp from sears. They are on sale.

Offline Ostrorogi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Stronger it is better it is. Main problem is that with strong ruter you need faster moveing. If you dont move fast enaugh, your blade will heaten and you will lose sharpenes.
For strong routers lets say 10mm of deep with 12mm head and 16000-18000 rpm you need at least 3-4m/min moving speed for best results. Are you capable of that.
Btw you dont need to cut all the way true form in one go.
Will you eat that? If not, why did you kill it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©