Author Topic: Removing Bamboo Backing  (Read 278 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Removing Bamboo Backing
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Have a deflex/reflex bow in the works here, and  the boo split on me. The Osage is such a nice piece of wood, that I'd like to salvage it. Any suggestions on how to get the boo off? Thought I would cut it off with the bandsaw, and stay just outside the glue line. Then use a power sander to get down to the Osage.. Thanks, Roy

Offline JoshB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing Bamboo Backing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
that's what I would do... If your belt sander has an aggressive belt on it I would use rasps to get it back down to the original wood to keep from going too far into the osage.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
What glue did you use. If TBIII you can heat the bow up to 150deg(F) and the glue will release. I did this with a heat gun and chisel on a hickory backed osage bow. Clean up both surfaces and re-glue.
 If another glue like urac or smooth-on you may have so saw the two apart. If you are careful you might recover both pieces.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
You can remove it with a heat gun if you used URAC.  Just go slow and pry it up as you move the heat along.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
Used Urac, tried the heat gun and it was very slow going, came off in small chunks.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
I have done it both ways, remove the bamboo to save the osage and removed the osage to save the bamboo.

When I am removing the bamboo, I grind almost all of the bamboo off on my belt sander except for about 1/16" and glue my new piece to this small strip of bamboo. This is on almost finished bows where I don't want to get into the osage.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Thanks Eric, that sounds like a plan. And it would leave a nice layer of boo between the next layer of whatever I put on. Might glue on some Zebra wood lams. Darn bamboo has given me fits over the years, splitting on me. But a BBO Bow sure is pretty when ya get a good one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©