Author Topic: white oak and backing  (Read 322 times)

Offline Bobert

• Trad Bowhunter
white oak and backing
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
I have a white oak board that is quarter sawn and would like to make a bow with it ,do I need to back it if I want to make 50# draw at finish?Any help will be apressiated.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: white oak and backing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
If the grain runs properly, no need for a backing. If you are not sure a simple backing of silk, linen or brown grocery bag paper will help to hold it together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline carver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
how long a bow?  what style?  1.75" wide, you can make a 50# bow very easily, and still be fairly short...say, 62 or 64 inches long.

quarter sawn white oak is great for bows, and you can heat-temper reflex into it with a heat gun very effectively.  go for it

Offline Bobert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I have the bow roughedout and it is 72" 2" at the fades and I the taper is 3/4 to 3/8.I just broke a blackwalnut bow that was almost completed and it hurt my head physicaly and otherwise lol thats why I am asking.Thanks for the input.

Offline carver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
2" wide is good, 72" long is overkill.  Go to primitive archer, search "white oak holmegaard" or "white oak recurves" by radius...that'll give you an idea what can be done.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Now, for 1/4 sawn you definitely need to look at the edge grain and it has to be straight. 'm a little confused as to your dims. If you left it 2 in wide at the handle and 3/4 in thick that's too wide. Did you narrow the handle area? Too what? Did you glue on a piece at the handle? Jawge

Offline Bobert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Jawge the handle is 1" wide the bow was finished being tillered and came out at 45# at 28".It is 70" ntn and the best bow I have made so far am very happy with it.It will be given to my girlfriends son as he wants to get into hunting with pim tackle.thanks to all that replyed.

Offline Bobert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Oh and yes I did add a riser to the handle it was 10''x1"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©