Author Topic: Texas bow wood?  (Read 280 times)

Offline Elkstalker Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
Texas bow wood?
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
My dad and I had just started making our own bows back home in Virginia until I moved down to south Texas to go to graduate school.  I was wondering if there are any trees down here that would make a good hunting bow.  I figure it would be a pretty cool souvenir to take back.  Is mesquite or Texas persimmon worth messing with, or will I have to venture north to find something else?  Thanks in advance for the posts.

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
persimmon will do fine.  mesquite works well with a good backing of sinew.  how far south are you??  seen any osage around?  should have some hackberry also.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline Elkstalker Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
The ranches we work on are near Carrizo Springs, and I live in Corpus Christi.  One of the other students has a ranch near Tilden, I think.  May find some different wood up that way.  Mesquite and persimmon are all that's down here, though.  Hard to find one big enough (or straight enough) to make a bow out of...  Thanks for the info.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
You might try and find some Hackberry...It will work. I made a 48" out of some last November just to see how I liked it and I'm impressed with it. I've got a nice big tree picked out to make several more but these will be closer to 66" this time.

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Don't forget that pecan is in the hickory family, and works well, especially when backed.

I myself an looking for the right live oak. i read that it was the hardest oak here in TX, although it may not have the interlocking fibers like white oak that you buy.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Sence these woods don't grow straight for very long.Try billets.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Elkstalker Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Are you referring to sugar hackberry or spiny hackberry (a.k.a. granjeno)?  Thanks again.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Hmm never even thought about that.....It's Sugar Hackberry or Palo Blanco is what the hands at work call it. The better ones seem to grow in a creek bottom or a brush thicket.If you do find one and after you split it you can get the bark off with a small hammer...you don't have to hit real hard just enough to loosen the bark and it'll come right off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©