Author Topic: first time selfbow  (Read 287 times)

Offline tasso joe

• Trad Bowhunter
first time selfbow
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Need info guys. A friend and I are looking into building our first bow. Whats the best how to source and what are the best plank woods to use? I know opinions are varied and all valid, I just have to start somewhere. Thanks, in advance.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first time selfbow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
get a hickory stave easier to do then a board bow inho A good book to get is the one by Paul Comstock, also the bowyers bibles are good to read and learn from
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Check out George Tsoukalas' site. Lots of building info there as well as which board to choose.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Have you looked through all the threads here?  Every answer is here.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NEProf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I second Pat B. Go to George's site and do what he says (look under board bow).

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Here is a thread by Tim Baker.   You won't find any better info.

How to Make Your First Wooden Bow

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
http://poorfolkbows.com/

this is Sam Harper's, build alongs for board bows, then work up to an BBI, even a glass bow build along...it got me started

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Also, 4rest trekker has a great build-along on this site.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
tasso joe said "[first bow]...I just have to start somewhere"

I'll tell you what I have found to be the very best thing to do first: Using any of the good references you've been given in this thread already, get some dimensions down on paper. Draw it out and get your head around the task. NOW...go get a crummy old board (pine, poplar, any old thing) and lay out the bow and cut it out. Also, laying out and cutting out a sapling bow on some kind of junk wood is awesome practice. I'm speaking about 'starting somewhere'.

Get used to measuring, laying out centerline and handle, rasping, drawknifing, scraping, etc. Go ahead and cut string nocks...practice using the round file for cutting & shaping. Shape the tips nice as if for real.

Go ahead and round all edges (leave NO sharp edges) and shape handle. Feel it, rasp it, sand it and so on until it feels good. Now take a old leather glove, split it open and cut out a handle wrap and stitch it.

Yes, completely build a bow (except tillering)out of total, useless junk.

You have to get the feel of these wood removal processes before starting on good wood.

You'll have to pick up tillering on the next 'real' bow, but many people want to hit a home run on their first bow on a nice piece of wood. I guarantee it won't happen. You'll make a tragic mistake on some part of it.
After that crucial practice run, I'd suggest Jawge's bendy handle bow first out of a red oak 1x2. Tim Baker's is fine too.

Next move up to Ferret's board with glue on handle. Jawge, Tim, and especially The Ferret are all my heros. I'd save 4est trekker's very good tutorial for last (just so you can get started learning ordinary tillering first). Graduate up to a stave bow (and learn how to deal with warp, twist, grain, etc.). JMO. I was wrong once before hehe.

Hope this helps. Think on this some!  :)  - rb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©