Author Topic: Martin Jaguar T/D limb help.  (Read 319 times)

Offline newbwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Jaguar T/D limb help.
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:04:00 AM »
Hi All,

I'm not in anyway a boywer, but I thought this forum would be the best place to find some help.

I decided today to take a good look at my jaguar T/D limb tips. They look a bit on the rough side and well, not only am I a newb to archery I'm also a newb to wood working. Here are a couple of pictures of my limb tips, can anyone give me advice and instructions on how I can go about cleaning them up?

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thank you,
newbwithabow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Jaguar T/D limb help.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
That's unbelievable that a new bow would be sold like that! I'm a big Howatt/Martin fan, but have to call them like I see them.

You can work that over with sandpaper, and then finish with super glue.  Make sure you leave the steep shoulder for the string loop to rest on.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
I would personally send these pictures to Martin and ask if that is normal "quality" that they send out with that bow. I would hate for you to do anything to them and then have a problem and Martin say that since you worked on them they will not cover the warranty.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
is this a new bow? If not, then is this your bottom limb tip? What I do to help prevent tip damage is buy and install rubber tip protectors,they are less than $4 each. On my bowfishing bows I put one on each limb tip. I have a new Martin jag for bowfishing, I will look at it later, but I think tips were nicely made? **UPDATE** OK checked my Jaguar, it does have some tool marks, but not as many or as bad the ones pictured above, I don't feel the need to dress these up as they are not in the string grouve. I have only shot this bow about 60 times, no wear on the string loops. I think I payed about $130 for this bow sooo I didn't expect perfection, but a couple more minutes of sanding...

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
You can take it down a little with a chain saw file. Don't go in to the center of the limb but go toward the riser and you should be able to get rid of the tool marks. What I mean is don't make the grooves deeper, just make them longer by essentially shortening the nock to nock length. Then sand with a strip of light sand paper. Did fast flight string cause the initial damage?

Offline newbwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Jason,

My string is fast flight, but I was told that my bow could handle fast flight.  When I first got my bow a few months ago the tip was already kinda rough I'm not sure if has gotten worse, I never did exam it that good till now.  Does it look like fast flight damage?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
mine came with a continuos loop dacron string. my bow has some 80 grit sanding disk? marks on the very ends of tips but grouves are smooth, mine does not have the chipped "phenolic" in the grouve. I bought the jag to bowfish with and have not used it yet, only shot some 1916's in the yard with it, now I'm thinking about beefing the tips up with some good phenolic.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
I have a jaguar takedown for bowfishing but it's at the lake camp. I will look at it when I go up but if I recall it has some kind of plastic for tip overlays. I don't think it would hold up to FF string. I started out with a pse takedown recurve and it had the same type of tips and I ruined it with FF. FF makes it start chipping small pieces off the lip of the string groove.

Offline newbwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
I talked to Martin Archery and they told me the Jaguar can use Fast Flight strings.

Offline newbwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Apex Predator,

You mentioned super glue, do I brush it on the whole tip, even in the string grove?  Really new to working on bows and wood and such.  Can you explain how to apply and where to apply the super glue?

Thanks

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:49:00 AM »
You can spread it with the end of your finger, just don't pause in one place very long!  :)   The glue will seal it well.  I would use a Q-tip in the grooves.  It won't look too bad, and will keep you from having to re-finish the entire limb.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline newbwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Thank you Apex Predator for the instructions on how to apply the superglue.  Also I'd like to thank everyone that replied to my post and for all the great advice.  

I sanded my limb tips and they look 100% better.  

Thank you all,
newbwithabow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©