Author Topic: How short can a longbow be?  (Read 329 times)

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
How short can a longbow be?
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
I know it sounds strange, however, how short can a longbow be, and still shoot well as far as speed/power.
Most I have seen or read about have generally been 66" to 70".
Is a 60" longbow, at say 50lbs, feasible?
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How short can a longbow be?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
What are you referring to as a long bow?  An English Longbow style bow can be built at any practical length but at 60" I don't know if it is still considered a long bow. An American longbow is basically a flat bow and can easily be made at 60" but I don't know if it would be called a long bow. Traditionally a long bow would be "man sized" or as tall as the shooter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Basically I am referring to what began as a longbow, however, it came in well below weight.

66" nock to nock with six inck reflex tip overlays. I would like to salvage it but did not know how short I could go.

It is my understanding that for each inch you take off, you gain approximatley 5lbs of draw weight.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
What kind of wood did you use and what are the other dimensions?(limb widths)  Six inches is a lot of reflex for a wood bow.
  When you shorten a bow it will add draw weight. Do it a little at a time and check the weight and tiller.
  What is the draw weight now and what do you hope to achieve?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
It is red oak with osage orange overlays. It is 1-3/4" along the riser to just past the fades. Pyramids down to 1/2" at the nocks.

The riser is the redoak board, appx. 3/16 osage, then 3/16" red oak. (thickness)

From the beginning of the reflex overlay to the nock end is 6" in length.

Right now the draw weight is right at 24lbs. I would like something in the mid 40's.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
It being red oak I think I'd make another bow and try to get closer to the intended draw weight. I doubt you could get much over 40# range anyway.
  You basically have a flat bow or a pyramid bow, both of which could be considered an American flat bow or Am. long bow. They are all just names anyway.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I'm thinking everything I've read or heard traditionally is a longbow is 60" or longer.

I just got a hybrid longbow that is 56" but it's a glass bow.

I would follow Pat's advice on this for sure.

Like I said most of your longbows so speak that are shorter than 60" are considered hibrids and really don't apply to wood bows as they are most always glass bows. Glass holds up alot more than wood is the reqson it can be accomplished.

Wood bows can and do perform as well or better than glass bows depending on bow design but you got to keep your wood bows a little longer for sure. I found this out the hard way.

JMO I would take some of these other guys advice before I jumped into anything. They have helped me tremendously and are full of knowledge anad experience more so than I am.

Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©