Author Topic: New Steamer!  (Read 321 times)

Offline David Holt

• Trad Bowhunter
New Steamer!
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
My buddy and I came up with this steamer idea for steaming planks for his boat.  Since I don't have a boat, guess i'm just gonna have to use it on bows...

HMC(SS/SW) David Holt
Submarine Force Independent Duty Corpsman
HOO-YAH

Offline David Holt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Steamer!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
You would think the PVC would warp but it works like a champ!   :clapper:    :pray:
HMC(SS/SW) David Holt
HOO-YAH

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
What brand is that red steamer and what does something like that run in cost? I am needing some kind of steamer to steam  whole bow blanks and don't know what I really want. Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
That pvc will warp some with the heat (mine did) but it should still work OK.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Dean,
It looks like that "red steamer" is nothing more than a 5 gallon gas can and a gas smoker or turkey fryer  burner and stand.
Good idea.

Offline RB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
5-gallon 'safety' cans will wipe out a $50 bill.

Alternative suggestion: 20 liter stainless or aluminum stock pot from Dollar stores (~$7-10; el cheapo's). Next an old used kitchen sink drain. Trace outline of sink drain on lid and cut out. Attach just like you would in the bottom of a kitchen sink, only upside down so the bottom is pointing up in the air. Use a chrome or brass nut instead of plastic, and attach a old used metal tail-piece. Put this assembly on a burner and it will shoot you a bunch of steam into your steam box for a long time. Put a copper column and condensing coil on the same setup and have yourself a moonshine still ha ha. You can cut a plywood lid for any old pot/fryer kettle if you don't want to cut up a good lid. Friction fit a 1-2" pipe in it. Lot's of cheap possibilities.

If you use PVC, you'd better support it with 2x4 or something. Better still, use furnace pipe with a Tee and insulate (that gray plastic coated stuff or an old quilt) it well. You can find this stuff free if you look for a house or store being torn down.
You can make a steam box out of wood (1x6x?" or so) too. Just cut a hole in the bottom of the wooden box and put the tailpiece (or any pipe) into a hole in the box (bottom or end). Make sure any type steam box you make is vented with some 1/4" holes! Otherwise = splosion!

A teapot does good on thin pieces.

Remember: the presence of 'foggy' steam alone is NOT enough (not hot enough); you need that stuff really rolling out the vents, because the steam is only a means of transporting heat. The wood must be bathed in 212° steam to work (1 hr. per inch of wood thickness), because the 'fog' alone can be cool enough to touch - and that ain't gonna work. Hope all this doesn't constitute theft of a thread.  :)

Offline SSGN_Doc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Waiting to see how this works out.

Offline David Holt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Definately not stealing a thread.  Thanks for all the great info!!!
HMC(SS/SW) David Holt
HOO-YAH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©