Author Topic: limb twist  (Read 255 times)

Offline stretch2

• Trad Bowhunter
limb twist
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
hi here is a bear recurve that my nephew brought to me so i could make a string for him. i got the string done and put it on and the limbs are twisting bad as you can see i hope from the pictures. what can i do to try and fix this? or is it fixable? i normaly sont mess around with recurves so any info would be great thanks

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb twist
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Try to heat it up a little with hot water, but don't keep it in it to long. Twist the limb in the other direction and go a little farther that center and hold it till it cools.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Just like ranger says. You should be able to do a search on here and get more details.

I've done this on many bear bows no problem. I usually ran it under hot water in the tub for a minute or two, experiment. Over straighten and then hold it while switching to cold water. May take a couple of tries. Once straight string it and test pull(partial). If tracking right let it strung and for the next couple of days pull on it till you hit full draw. Once it's holding Leave it strung for several weeks to teach it.
Then always use a stringer.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
a hair dryer will work well.  heat the limb slowly and twist a little at a time.  be patient.  the limb should never be so hot you can't touch it.  only enough to warm the limb all the way through, say 110-120 degrees.  let the limb rest and rehydrate for a few hours before stringing and checking the alignment.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
i like macbows technique except for the water.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline stretch2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
thanks for the info but i done the water method and then strung it and it delamed so thanks anyways

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©