Author Topic: hazelnut bow design  (Read 306 times)

Offline carver

• Trad Bowhunter
hazelnut bow design
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Hey,

Any of you guys worked with hazelnut?  What can you tell me about it?  It's pretty abundant where i live.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hazelnut bow design
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
I seen a build along on another site archived on a hazelnut bow. Looked great. I'd like to give it a try myself.
 I think the site was primitive archery or something. I do remember seeing Pat B. was one of the Mods I think. Maybe you can contact him here and he will send you in the right direction.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline carver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
i'm familiar with PA...posted on there lots...read that tutorial 10 times!  i just wanted more feedback and more opinions.  thanks!

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I've made like 12 bows of hazel. It's a nice and forgiving wood, best suited for bows with a flat belly and crowned back. Saplings are Ideal. Hazel tends to crysal pretty quickly, but performs well anyways. Easily available and reliable, but takes a quite a bit of set. especially Ideal for your first couple of bows.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline carver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
well Nick, i've made dozens of bows...maybe a hundred by now...but not with this kind of wood.  Are they also best suited to bending through the handle?  

A friend of mine made a hazelnut bow, but he didn't know wtf he was doing:  7 feet long, pulled 20 pounds...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©