Author Topic: inner tube use  (Read 403 times)

Offline Traditionalfirst

• Trad Bowhunter
inner tube use
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
What are the ins and outs on inner tubes for clamps? I see alot of nice bows from the the use of inner tubes.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: inner tube use
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I use to use them, but to many times I didnt get good glue lines. Since I went to the airhose method, The only bad glue lines are from poor fitting of risers. I can control that.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
I use the inner tube method, even for recurves, and I get nice glue lines. But the fades have to be nice and even. A friend of mine recently did glue up his first ever bow, he did all the sanding and fitting of the riser and it turned out perfect. If you have a drum sander you should be able to pull it off. I think the key is to check over and over and not to glue until everything fits perfect.

----------
Andy

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
I used bike tubes and I love my bow.  They give constant pressure on the bow. It is a little bit like wrestling a sticky snake but it works.  Definitely do a dry run and have the knots in the tubes pre-tied.  I got a bunch of them from a bike shop nearby that saves the ones they replace to recycle.  I'm sure the airhose is better but for me it turned out great.  The only thing I would change is that I would have mixed up two batches of glue (staggered)  so that I didn't have to hurry as much.
Good luck
Josh
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I have used the tube many times in the past. I used truck tubes and cut them about two inches wide and pretty long.  I never made a form with the pegs on the sides to wrap the tubes around I just wrapped the tube around the bow form and all.  I can see where the pegs would be better.  

I have used the air hose for the last several years.  I will still use the tubes when building a bow for the first time, if all works well then I build the other half of the form and use the air hose going forward.  

You can get a ton of pressure with tubes if you use more than one layer. The only drawback I can think of is you are covering up the bow as you wrap, and can't visually see that everything pulled together corretly without slipping.

Offline Traditionalfirst

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Here's my innertube form:

Offline Traditionalfirst

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the pic, I would say the posts make it easier to use than trying to tie it right?

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
I've done both.  

I like to just cut bands from the innertube.  You can vary the holding pressure by cutting the bands thicker or thinner.  For my form, 3/4" wide bands seen to work best.

When you use a long strip of rubber, it's tough to get equal pressure at each post.  I think the long strip is just harder to work with than individual bands.

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I also used the posts, but I meant to tie the tubes so that they can be hooked on the posts. Here is a pic of mine.  I used longer tubes so that I could run some of them diagonally in case any broke in the heat box.
Josh

"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
Churchill

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
I use rubber bands I bought at staples. They work just fine for me
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline carver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
bike tubes are good.  only drawback, as someone already said, is that they cover up the work and you can't see the lines.  But they provide ample pressure EVERYWHERE and so you get solid joinery every time

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
I've used them exclusively for 30+ bows.  Never had a failure, and always good glue lines.  A good pressure strip is a must to distribute the pressure evenly.  I use bunches of bicycle tube strips, overlapping quite a bit.  Mine looks much like Joshuas.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Only because I modeled mine after yours  :)
thanks again apex
Josh
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
Churchill

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
The first time I used inner tube I cut it cross ways so it made big rubber-bands but I have since learned to cut them length ways and thread them back and forth from side to side......much easier and better.

Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©