Author Topic: discoloration spot on limb-new bow  (Read 465 times)

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
discoloration spot on limb-new bow
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I'm hoping some of you pros can tell me what's going on w/this lower limb.  It's a quality bow (Vision Falcon IV; 60", 50#@28") that's appx. 1-year old.  The pic below shows a spotty discoloration on the lower limb.  For the sake of argument, let's assume that the warranty expired (1 year, 1 month).  It looks to me to only be in the finish, doesn't affect the integrity of the bow, can only really be seen in the right light, and is appx. 1/4" in size.  But I'm hoping to trade the bow for something a little heavier.  So is this spot troubling to knowledgeable trad folks?  Any fairly simple cure?  Or is it no big deal & time for me to take my paranoia meds?
Thanks for any help,
Eddie Paulsgrove

*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: discoloration spot on limb-new bow
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Do you think it is on top of the glass or underneath it.. The shape of it makes it look like its on the surface like its just something on top of the finish.....I think it would try to rub it off.  I dont think it would be a big deal to someone who knows its on the surface.

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks, Brad, for your input.  Nope, it looks to be below the glass, and really nothing that can be done surficially.  Looks like I may be asking Dick for some help.  It figures, I get the one-in-a-thousand screw ups & it's truly about 1-2 months past warranty!  Thanks,

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
It make a good candidate for some snake skins if it bothers the owner.

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks, Brad, now that's thinking outside of the box!  Appreciate your input,

Eddie

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
nothing to worry about. its purely cosmetic. This is the frustrating thing about modern clear glass...it has defects and unfortunately for us bowyers it causes either profit loss or upset customers. No way around it and you don't know its there till you glue the limb up. Wonder why bows cost what they do? That's a reason right there. We have to make the money up somewhere when glass is bad and we have to scrap a limb or bow. I've had to use snake skins on occasion to cover a defect like this but then you get into adding another $100 to the bow.

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks, Tim.  As someone newer than not to the wheeling-dealing of trad, small things like obvious cosmetic mars is somewhat disconcerting.  I know it's not an impediment to the quality of the bow's shooting but looks are such an important aspect to the overall character of more expensive bows.  A flaw is still a flaw.  The snakeskin approach actually sounds good!
Thanks,

Eddie P.

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
i totally agree. if someone is paying for a bow, they expect perfection. I'm not saying its wrong of someone to not just 'suck it up' cause it isn't hte bowyers fault. just the contrary. if i paid for a product, there's a certain quality i would and do expect (within reason). I second the snake skin motion

Offline droptine59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
I have yet to see clear glass that is totally clear. Personally when the veneer under is dark those imperfections will be glaring. Snake it.

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
OK, skinning the limbs sounds pretty good.  That's definitely something new to me.  Presuming I opt for a simple, common skin, any ideas on costs?  Any T.G. sponsors or other folks commonly used?
Thanks you guys.  I appreciate your time,
Eddie

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
i think most usually go with pinehollow for skins, sometimes youll find them in the classifieds on here too.like the wood under that glass btw. personally i wouldnt worry about a flaw like that, as long as it wasnt gonna break id leave it alone,rather than covering the wood.but skins look good too so you wouldnt really be hurting anything.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©