Author Topic: asymetrical tiller  (Read 280 times)

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
asymetrical tiller
« on: March 26, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
im in the process of tillering my sisters bow, and i made the limbs asymetrical, with the top limb a half inch longer than the bottom one. i did this to help even out the stress from pulling more on the bottom limb when drawing,although a half inch really isnt much. my question is this; in tillering with asymetrical limbs the limbs should bend evenly right? i mean that the top and bottom and top limbs should bend the same amount. i ask because the top limb seems to be stiffer even after taking a bit of wood off to try to even them out. any help is much appreciated.
Richard

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: asymetrical tiller
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
forgive me there. i mean that the limbs bend as they normally would, with the top limb bending slightly more than the bottom.
Richard

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
i remeasured from my nock points after removing the temporary nocks and the top limb is in fact longer by an inch, still need to know if it falls under the typical way of tillering though
Richard

Offline carver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
i think with these ones you look for "positive tiller" which is where the distance from the string to the back of the bow, measured on a 90 degree line, is 1/4" more on the top limb than the bottom limb, at any given point out measured from the center.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
yea thats what i thought, i normally build that into all my bows to keep some stress off the bottom limb and account for the actual middle of the stress not being centered. just didnt know if it would make the top limb always stronger than the bottom or not but it makes sense now.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©