Author Topic: Marty 300 Build Along  (Read 3368 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Marty 300 Build Along
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Its time how did you fix the problem. I know you are a lot farther along then what you are telling us.   :pray:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Ok Time to keep the build going butfirst things first. I had gotten home and it was a new day and time to take a look at the bow through a new eye.

and now from the shooters perspective.

Now for the resolution.  After trying the thinner ebony and having it crack I decided that I needed to take a look elsewhere in my shop for another string pad option.  While considering the options I saw pieces of purple heart, zebra wood, birdseye maple, cherry, walnut, osage, bubinga, ash and then my eye fell on a piece of junk packing wood that Kenny M had used to protect the lams.  How many lam suppliers do you know who put a strip of packing wood in the box with the lams that matches the laminations?  There sitting next to my desk was a beautiful piece of cocobolo just itching to become a piece of the bow.  OVERLAY!!!!!!!! and Cocobolo bends nicely!  Thank you Kenny M.

and fits quickly

This photo shows all the little parts that need to be glued to the bow,  The phenolic limb tips, Cocobolo string pads and the ebony riser doubler.

gluing the riser doubler in place.

securing it with clear plastic and bands.  I use the plastic wrap first then the bands and then clear plastic to keep everything in place.

and then the string pads and tip overlays get clamped on

and the bow spends another night in the hot box!

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Is it out of the hot box yet ha ha.
TGMM Family of The Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Out of one and in to another!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks for this build a long its awesome.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline BOSS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
awesome lookin bow   hope to shoot it someday  maybe you will bring it to hunting camp Randy

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
I am starting to shape my first Laminated Bow riser and this build a long is the perfect tutorial for me to read.  Last night I was starting to get the, "Let's get this done, NOW," bug.  You know what happens when we get that thought in to our heads.  I decided to just walk away for the evening.  (Patience, Grasshopper)  Good thing because it gave me a chance to see what you do to keep everything running smoothly.
Thanks for all the hard work you've put in to this thread!!!!
Great looking boy, btw, too.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
This is going to be your best bow!  Stunning!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
Definitely his best looker. I hear it shoots real nice

Great news even though the build along is not complete. The "Marty 300" or as Pete  called it last night the "Black Hole" is finished and on its way to Florida.

When I asked "Black Hole"? He stammered and said I wouldn't believe him till I see it. Evidently it has something to do with black gaboon ebony under several coats of finish.

Now that the bow is done and shipped, his daughter is back in College "Easter Break" he will have time to settle down and finish up the posting.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by BOSS:
awesome lookin bow   hope to shoot it someday  maybe you will bring it to hunting camp Randy
You will get to shoot it Dad.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by metsastaja:

Originally posted by Apex Predator:
When I asked "Black Hole"? He stammered and said I wouldn't believe him till I see it. Evidently it has something to do with black gaboon ebony under several coats of finish.
 [/b]
That is awesome. Cant wait till he has a little time to post more of the build.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Dang he must have been handed the "Honey Dos" he was allowed to put off during this build.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Randy,

I am now officially jealous!  First you win this hunt and bow, then ya win one of Herb's bows at BOW.  Now I get to see yours being made (and it looks awesome by the way).  Why do you get all the luck!  

Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
It's not just honey dos but survival!.,.IT has been all long days and just cause the Marty 300 is on the way doesn't mean it stopped. Well the bow came out of the hot box and the plastic wrap came off and it turned out that the riser doubler stayed in place as did the tip overlays and the string pads.  

With all looking good it was time to take the bow to the sander and remove some of the excess material.  lots quickly gone!  The key here is to remove material with caution but with confidence.  Taking the tips down to the limb is easy but it is also easy to cut in to the limb.  Any experienced bowyer will tell you it takes one second of carelessness to ruin 50 hours of work.

and then you need to know when to switch from power to hand tools.  At least I still need them.  And there are ways that I use to protect my investment. Just in case I slip ... I'm just sayin...strapping tape is your friend.

a few moments with the sanding block brings the tip overlays and string pads in to line with the limb.

During the process I felt a little catch  on the sand paper.  If you see this...

it means you raised a sliver of glass.  Be careful. Not only is it an instant splinter to a careless finger but it can also peel away from the edge of the bow and really do some damage.  I touch them with a little bit of CYa and then sand them down with the rest of the limb.  I do not let them remain un tended.

Here I am feathering the string pad to the limb.  I use the grinder to get it close and then a sanding block.

pete

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Lookin good Pete!!

I always throw the leftover in if it won't make another pr of good lams!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I had to quit the post cause of the max number of photos.  Now to continue...
It was time to start shaping the nock>>>>>>>  First I file the existing nock grove in to the phenolic and string pad.  Then I start the round over.  Here one side has the original nock grove, the other showing the round over.

Here is the rough shaped nock from the back showing the string pad.

after it is roughed in I use a string to position the string groves!  Wow what a concept!

and then some file work.

Now that the riser is finished and the nocks are smooth it was time to get the bow outside.

and see how it shoots.  One  then another...then another.  Each time I shoot a bow for the first time I am always leery expecting something to go wrong.  after about 10 shots one at a time I decided to shoot a group.  With a passel of un matched arrows this is what I got.

Not bad considering the mix at 20 yards.  Two of those are broad heads.  After a few more it was time to start the finishng process.  

Unfortunately I have not photos of the finished bow.  I can tell you this.  I got 5-6 coats of poly on the bow. The riser looks soooo cool. It's all black ya know.  Don't worry pics of the finished bow will be here.  You just will have to wait to see why I nicknamed her the BLACK HOLE> I bet Les gets a pic up on Thursday!

Thanks for following along. There is still a bit to come and the hunt to follow so, check back.

pete

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Not bad for a bunch of woodies and carbons
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Very cool thanks for taking for putting a little more light into the bow. Looking forward to meeting you all.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
The Bows are in Jacksonville, FL as of 10:57 this morning
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
3:24  Left Jacksonville.  Still on time.

Will it make it?????

pete

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©