Author Topic: pine hollow glue up bows  (Read 397 times)

Offline ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
pine hollow glue up bows
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Has anyone tried a pine hollow glue up bow kit. I  am itchen to try and build a bow and thought this may be a good start. It is between this and a stave and I thought this may be a bit easier. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank You,'
Stacy

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pine hollow glue up bows
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
id think generally that depending on the kit that glue up can be more difficult, because of the forms needed and making sure everything is lined up. then you have ovens for curing epoxy,etc. you might be better off trying your luck with a stave first, you can find decent deals if you look around. even buying a stave tillered over your draw weight and then tillering it down to your weight would be a good first try.
Richard

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Are you talking one of Mike's already glued up bamboo backed osage/hickory kits or one of the kits where you have to do the glue up?  I haven't tried Mike's bamboo backed osage, but did do one from Dryad.  It was my first time trying to tiller anything and turned out nice.  I'd suggest getting one of his already glued up kits for your first bow.  Mike also has osage staves that already have a growth ring chased.  

Give Mike a call. I'm sure he will be able to point you in the right direction and give you better advice on which way to go than I can.  I just talked to him last week when I ordered a pair of diamonback skins for a laminated bow I'm making for a friend.  I've never skinned a bow before and took the time to answer all my questions.

John
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
yea mikes a good guy to deal with for sure.
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©